Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sagacity
Visitor

Premium Channel linking if rendezvous NOT needed

Hello all,

I am new to Roku (Rock You or Ro Koo ???). My question is with the programming process when adding a channel through the channel store, using a Premium channel, so Roku handles the transaction $$$, but there is no need for the elaborate rendezvous.

How does Roku return (Or rather where can I point to) to get the confirmation xml.

I'm using the example reg script that came with the SDK.

The sdk version checks for an XML file (Currently, Hard coded on my server) to be present on a server ( Some where ).

I certainly can jump through the hoops using a Perl script and htaccess, but if I don't have to, I'd rather not.
Since Roku handles the transaction, they are the only ones who can actually determine if the registration was a success or failure.

I am continuing on in my reading of the doc's, but it doesn't cover this payment option very well, OR, I could have missed it.

I'm not interested in giving away content that is not paid for, so if the transaction fails, how would my app know this from the Roku server?

:?

Added link: https://owner.roku.com/add/ANB9G or vanity https://owner.roku.com/add/myprayer
Sagacity
CazMaz Productions
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Premium Channel linking if rendezvous NOT needed

I'm fairly certain it's Ro Koo.

The transaction can't fail; users have to have a valid payment method on file. Once a user has installed the channel, their payment method has been charged and your 70% has been credited to your account (you get the money once a month). You can be fairly certain that if something is accessing your XML it's a valid Roku user, although it wouldn't be too difficult to capture packets to see what's going on between the box and your server. If you're worried about someone sniffing out what's going on, you'll have to use SSL or some other method of securing the communications. Of course, only a paying customer could capture packets anyway.

-JT

Edit: I think you messed up the vanity code. https://owner.roku.com/add/myprayer doesn't work.
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sagacity
Visitor

Hi renojim,

I'm fairly certain it's Ro Koo.

I thought it might be that - that's what we've been calling anyway. Thanks for that 🙂

The transaction can't fail; users have to have a valid payment method on file. Once a user has installed the channel, their payment method has been charged and your 70% has been credited to your account (you get the money once a month). You can be fairly certain that if something is accessing your XML it's a valid Roku user, although it wouldn't be too difficult to capture packets to see what's going on between the box and your server. If you're worried about someone sniffing out what's going on, you'll have to use SSL or some other method of securing the communications. Of course, only a paying customer could capture packets anyway.

If I have this right then -- I could comment out the registration process, (Some might remove it entirely, but I won't, not just yet). We don't have a need for gathering info at this point, since Roku handles the money and won't let the install take place unless the payment succeeded. (Which you stated, can't fail, and I agree). I have made that mod already. 😄

Edit: I think you messed up the vanity code. https://owner.roku.com/add/myprayer doesn't work.

Things that make you go Hmmmmm...
It is a public channel...don't know if that makes a difference.
I don't know why it failed, but I do know that I can not edit it.
It looks like after I do a little more beta on this - the other code works - I'll empty out and delete the channel.
Then, go back and Re-Create it... Unless Roku doesn't allow this, which means that I would need some tech support to fix the erroneous code.

One thing at a time I guess,
Thank you for your help,
I'll post back my successes or failures.
Sagacity
CazMaz Productions
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"sagacity" wrote:
It is a public channel...don't know if that makes a difference.

That's probably it. The vanity code probably only works once it's accepted and published.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sagacity
Visitor

Hello all,

I'm posting back --

Thank you renojim.
Thank you rokuPatrick.

The vanity code I am told will work once the channel is operational in the channel store - Solved-.

I commented out the Registration process and thus far haven't run into any problems.
Functionally -- The Channel App goes through the loading process without a hitch with an (Unpublished) Public Channel using the Roku auto generated code(Previously Posted ANB9G).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If, I understand the process correctly -

The channel will be available in the channel store.
If you click on the icon, then the details (Which, were configured through your developer account),of your channel (Let's call this the "Point of Sale" or POS) are available for all to see and make a decision whether to Buy or not.
Then, If you select to add the channel (The same as if you clicked on the ANB9G link in Beta testing), then Roku will charge accordingly, and then Add the channel to your buying history. This may be a little different for each user, depending on their account settings with regard to PIN Numbers, etc.

Note: We are using a Premium Developer Account. Roku is handling the payment transaction, so, we don't have to step outside to our own server to accept payment, unless, we want to gather other limited info, OR, If we charge separately for the service, like "Netflix" etc., then we would need this registration step. At this point we do not.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again,
I'll post back IF anything needs an update.
Sagacity
CazMaz Productions
0 Kudos
hlt

roku sux and i would not have purchased the junk if i had known they want some kind of monthly subscription.

0 Kudos