Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Re: Organized Local Streaming Development?

I think TVersity could create their own channel and package it in a way that is accessible by the mainstream. So far that seems the most accessible approach so far.
0 Kudos
Shlepzig

No standalone channels

Alas, there won't be any standalone channels. The Roku DVP just does not have the memory to make all those requests and create the structure needed to scan and catalog a film catalog.

The best you can hope for is a two part approach. A Roku Channel and then a local server portion that can handle the structure and web stream request.

This is how all the content providers thus far have been structured. They store, stream and catalog all the content. The DVP provides an interface to choose and request the stream, but all the data-structure, content and graphics are stored elsewhere.

A three part approach (four if you count the content) is very attainable, a local web-server to stream the content, a web application to structure all the content, and the DVP.

-Shlep'
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Re: No standalone channels

"Shlepzig" wrote:

A three part approach (four if you count the content) is very attainable, a local web-server to stream the content, a web application to structure all the content, and the DVP.

-Shlep'

That's pretty much what TVersity is.
0 Kudos
Shlepzig

Sadly Windows Only

Unfortunately it is Windows only. I am a Linux dude, I must travel that lonesome road alone.

Alone with a couple million other geeks.

-Shlep'
0 Kudos
zwei
Visitor

tversity has got about the messiest installation of any program I've ever seen
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334
0 Kudos
scyber
Visitor

Re: Sadly Windows Only

"Shlepzig" wrote:
Unfortunately it is Windows only. I am a Linux dude, I must travel that lonesome road alone.

Alone with a couple million other geeks.

-Shlep'

There are dozens of DLNA servers for linux that support transcoding. The following list is a bit out of date, but still shows a bunch of options.

http://www.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to- ... x-or-linux
0 Kudos
jcroft
Visitor

xml format

@zwei

Here's a sample entry from my file that works for me...

<item>
<title>26 bathrooms</title>
<link>http://192.168.1.2/26bathrooms.mp4</link>
<enclosure url="http://192.168.1.2/26bathrooms.mp4" length="0:21:32" type="video/mp4" />
<pubDate>Sun, Dec 20 2009 14:02:00 GMT</pubDate>
</item>

I think the link entry is redundant, the enclosure part is the important one. The type is important too at least when I tested on the website.
0 Kudos
zwei
Visitor

Re: xml format

"jcroft" wrote:
@zwei

Here's a sample entry from my file that works for me...

<item>
<title>26 bathrooms</title>
<link>http://192.168.1.2/26bathrooms.mp4</link>
<enclosure url="http://192.168.1.2/26bathrooms.mp4" length="0:21:32" type="video/mp4" />
<pubDate>Sun, Dec 20 2009 14:02:00 GMT</pubDate>
</item>

I think the link entry is redundant, the enclosure part is the important one. The type is important too at least when I tested on the website.

Thanks! That's a lot simpler than the one I had generated. What tags do you have between the <channel> </channel> tags?
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334
0 Kudos

Anyone have any idea how far we are away from this being ready for non-developers? I have a TV tuner on my PC that I use for recording OTA broadcasts. It records in MP4 format.

Right now, I have a second PC hooked up to my TV set. I keep the MP4 files in a shared folder on my main PC, and use the wireless network to play them on my second TV. It would be really nice if I could instead use my Roku player to access the files.
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

"QuantumIguana" wrote:
Anyone have any idea how far we are away from this being ready for non-developers? I have a TV tuner on my PC that I use for recording OTA broadcasts. It records in MP4 format.

Right now, I have a second PC hooked up to my TV set. I keep the MP4 files in a shared folder on my main PC, and use the wireless network to play them on my second TV. It would be really nice if I could instead use my Roku player to access the files.

It's very doable right now by mixing some kind of media server with Mediafly or the future channel CDNTwo (also an RSS podcast/vodcast reader).

I have TVersity running on my PC. I encoded a bunch of videos in MP4 using handbrake and have been able to access those files using the Roku via TVersity.

The nice thing about TVersity is it produces it's own XML files -- so you just need to either upload those to the internet or use something like dropbox and then feed those RSS links into an RSS reader channel like Mediafly (or CDNTwo when it's available).

But you could create your own XML by either using a program like FeedForAll or hand coding (either from scratch or by modifying an existing example).

So if you're willing to tinker a bit, you should be able to do this now with Mediafly.
0 Kudos