Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset from UTC

is there a way to get the offset of time from UTC in BrightScript? something similar to javascript getTimezoneOffset() http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_gettimezoneoffset.asp ?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Offset from UTC

"bathejasumeet" wrote:
is there a way to get the offset of time from UTC in BrightScript? something similar to javascript getTimezoneOffset() http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_gettimezoneoffset.asp ?

dt = CreateObject ("roDateTime")
utcHours = dt.GetHours ()
dt.ToLocalTime ()
localHours = dt.GetHours ()
utcOffset = localHours - utcHours
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

That's a good approach, but it doesn't properly handle timezones which are offset from GMT by a non-integral number of hours. Better to use AsSeconds() rather than GetHours().

--Mark
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

I was just thinking the same thing, and was just changing my reply as you responded:

utcSeconds = dt.AsSeconds ()
dt.ToLocalTime ()
localSeconds = dt.AsSeconds ()
utcSecondsOffset = localSeconds - utcSeconds
utcHoursOffset = utcSecondsOffset / 3600
0 Kudos

Thanx a lot, the approach worked 🙂
0 Kudos
chaklasiyanikun
Roku Guru

@belltown wrote:
I was just thinking the same thing, and was just changing my reply as you responded:

utcSeconds = dt.AsSeconds ()
dt.ToLocalTime ()
localSeconds = dt.AsSeconds ()
utcSecondsOffset = localSeconds - utcSeconds
utcHoursOffset = utcSecondsOffset / 3600

that's tick is good. Now, Direct method available for offset GetTimeZoneOffset(). But, some times time differences found 4.5 or 3.5. So, How to convert 3.5 to 3 hours 30 mins or 4.5 to 4 hours 30 mins.

0 Kudos