Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Griffin
Visitor

Noob question before getting started

Hi everyone,

I have a very noob question I was hoping you could help with. I would like to be able to create a private, free roku channel that streams videos that I (or my friends) create. I have absolutely no programming experience. Having said that, I downloaded the sdk 3.0 and Eclipse. After poking around for a few minutes I started to wonder if I have to have a video url to enter in the code or is there a way for me to stream vids straight from my computer? What's the easiest way to get videos from my hard drive to a roku channel? Any help would be much appreciated!
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
stratcat96
Visitor

Re: Noob question before getting started

are you looking to use this for yourself personally or put it out there for anyone to use/view these videos? If you just want to locally stream to your TV there are channels that can allow you to do that already. My Media, Chaneru, Plex, etc. are just a few examples. All solutions to stream from your own computer require setting up a media server on your pc. If you are looking to create a channel of your videos for public consumption, those videos have to be hosted on the 'net somewhere.
0 Kudos
Griffin
Visitor

Re: Noob question before getting started

It's for pulbic consumption (i.e. a group of folks with the same interest). It will be stuff like lectures on specific topics. Are there any hosting solutions aside from creating my own website?

Edit: Never mind, found a thread that addresses this question. Thanks though!
0 Kudos