Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dunkan
Visitor

Non roman languages

Hi folks,

This has been asked multiple times but I still didn't find a solution. If one exists, could anyone please point me to it? I am trying to display content in non Roman languages (Chinese, Russian etc) in Roku components like labels etc.. So far I can only see unsupported character boxes even for custom fonts that I am certain support those Unicode code points. Is it possible at all? Here is what I could come up with so far:

1. If I knew the language I could map Unicode into a single-byte encoding and display using my custom font. Um, it is obviously a hack.
2. This post suggests that I could could make it work with roImageCanvas but this post[/url:363pbkeh] suggests that roImageCanvas is being deprecated.

Is there a good non-hacky wa...

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
gomad
Roku Guru

Re: Non roman languages

I am not sure if that is possible. Unless Roku supports non-roman characters display. Or if the Labels are not that long , use images 🙂

regards,
GM
0 Kudos
Dunkan
Visitor

Actually it does as long as I pair it with the font that knows what I am trying to do. The whole idea is borrowed from single by encoding which Russian Internet segment was using before Unicode.
0 Kudos
gomad
Roku Guru

you mean you were able to render chinese/korean/arabic/thai language fonts with customs fonts?? 
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"Dunkan" wrote:
Hi folks,
This has been asked multiple times but I still didn't find a solution. If one exists, could anyone please point me to it? I am trying to display content in non Roman languages (Chinese, Russian etc) in Roku components like labels etc.. So far I can only see unsupported character boxes even for custom fonts that I am certain support those Unicode code points. Is it possible at all?
Is there a good non-hacky way to solve this?

It would be helpful if you included a link to where it was asked before, as I don't recall it.
With my own RSG test app, I don't see any problems displaying Chinese or Russian characters, e.g. using Google Noto CJK font (again, for test purpose only).
Keep in mind that BrightScript strings use Unicode characters, and generally require UTF-8 encoding for binary interchange e.g. from file or network I/O.
If you're using a custom TrueType or OpenType font, make sure it includes a Unicode mapping table.
0 Kudos
cyborg
Visitor

"RokuKC" wrote:
"Dunkan" wrote:
Hi folks,
This has been asked multiple times but I still didn't find a solution. If one exists, could anyone please point me to it? I am trying to display content in non Roman languages (Chinese, Russian etc) in Roku components like labels etc.. So far I can only see unsupported character boxes even for custom fonts that I am certain support those Unicode code points. Is it possible at all?
Is there a good non-hacky way to solve this?

It would be helpful if you included a link to where it was asked before, as I don't recall it.
With my own RSG test app, I don't see any problems displaying Chinese or Russian characters, e.g. using Google Noto CJK font (again, for test purpose only).
Keep in mind that BrightScript strings use Unicode characters, and generally require UTF-8 encoding for binary interchange e.g. from file or network I/O.
If you're using a custom TrueType or OpenType font, make sure it includes a Unicode mapping table.

I have Synology NAS, and some files names are in Russian language, and all russian letters are invisible in Roku Media Player, so it is very difficult to understand what is the real name
0 Kudos
mengclin

Hi RokuKC,

Is your app still working fine with Google Noto CJK font? https://www.google.com/get/noto/help/cjk/
The smallest font file I can findin there is around 18MB which is too large and Roku would not be able to run with this file. Is it possible for you to share the font file which would work with Chinese characters in your test app?

0 Kudos