Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaxim
Visitor

Re: New Close Captions window in New firmware

it's a srt file with a mp4 video file
0 Kudos
RokuCC
Binge Watcher

There is a firmware issue with track selection not automatically happening with MP4 files. Other container types should work.
use content. SubtitleConfig to specify track explicitly. Sadly track selection based on preferred language will not work this way.
0 Kudos
jaxim
Visitor

I'll try that.  I was using SubtitleConfig before this. How do I use SubtitleConfig (instead of SubtitleTracks) with the new built-in closed captioning window?

Do you know when this firmware issue will be fixed?
0 Kudos
RokuCC
Binge Watcher

It will be fixed in the next release (spring).

set it to both SubtitleTracks and SubtitleConfig(track name of one of the tracks in SubtitleTracks).

Note that HLS (which also uses MP4) does work properly.
0 Kudos
jaxim
Visitor

I just got a new Roku test device. It's a very low powered Roku device (Roku Express). It has the latest 8.0.0 firmware (Build 4128-28).
When I click the options button "*", nothing happens. The closed captioning side bar does not appear like it does on my Roku 4 test device. The Roku 4 device has the latest firmware version for that model (Build 4128-28).

It appears for now the old and new ways of handling of closed captioning should be in the same codebase. If the device supports thew new way, then it will simply ignore the old code. If the device doesn't handle the new way, then it will ignore the new way. (Of course, I don't have a device with old firm ware so I am assuming the app will not error out when it encounters the SubtitleTracks property.)
0 Kudos