Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BinaryMadman
Visitor

Re: Need help with slightly modified Scroll SDK example

Hmm...I just looked through the dimensions of the images and they are mostly under 2000px by both height and width, even the ones the channel stops at. Also, it didn't matter which comic i was using. Both my Batman 001 comic and my Wonder Woman 002 stop after about 4 images being loaded into the array. I took out the "STOP" command in my code and the debug screen shows the for loop continues to execute but does not have valid roBitmaps after the first four.

Ignore the lower sentences, it doesn't work with random images from Google Images.
If you're curious you could try the updated code out using a folder with 10 random images found on Google Images or something. The only code that would need to be changed is the file path i hard-coded into the viewComic() call.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

How big are the first five images (the four that works and the one that fails)? Generally there is memory for a "few" screen-sized images, but the number decreases the larger the images get. Since you mentioned they are "mostly" under 2000px (which is pretty huge), I guess your images are pretty big?

More to the point, is there any reason to have more than one of these bitmaps instantiated at one time? Why are you keeping an array of them?

--Mark
0 Kudos
BinaryMadman
Visitor

Oh, i was just doing it for testing purposes. I still have the original code that goes through images one by one. I wanted to see if it would still stop working even though there would be no re-allocation going on. Yes, they are pretty big - they hover around the 1900px range.

First 5 images are 1280x1966, 1280x1966, 1280x1966, 2000x1537, 1280x1966. The one that doesn't work is also 1280x1966. I just tried the channel using 5 random images that are mostly around 700px and none of them worked. Yet the images from the comics have at least the first 4 that are able work with bigger dimensions. Maybe the Roku just isn't meant for this kind of app? 😞 Which is a shame because the images look pretty sweet on my big screen. :mrgreen:
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Loading that many large images simultaneously is probably maxing-out the available video memory.

Is there a reason you need more than one screen-sized bitmap in memory at a time? I would maybe load two, and when you load the third, de-allocate the first one.

- Joel
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Another option - I realize you're loading from USB/external - but you could probably get away with copying 100 of those images into the tmp storage area of the roku and then they should swap in and out of ram quicker that way one at a time. If you don't mind the initial copying delay process. Rather than scrolling the images, you could also try chopping each page into individual frames with a left/right control sequence for next and previous frame to reduce the loading and rendering time.
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

Looking at the comments, I had to review your code again. I didn't see at first where in the code you are retaining the bitmaps in memory. Being able to load only 4 or 5 is indicative of retaining the bitmaps in memory. It's also indicative of allocating larger and larger bitmaps with intervening objects that are not deallocated. The first step is to stop retaining both the bitmaps and the regions. Although I can't say exactly what the memory requirements of a region is, I have tested bitmaps. Here's the post where I relate my experience on memory limits and bitmaps.

If you're allocating large and increasing chunks, I could easily see it taking up memory from fragmentation, see the diagram below.

Note that in this diagram, bitmap4 is bigger than bitmap3, which is bigger than bitmap2, which is bigger than bitmap1. Any allocation that is not freed (represented by the |x|) causes fragmentation.

|<---bitmap1--->|x|<-----free ------------------------------------------------------>| AFTER ALLOCATING bitmap1
|<---free ----->|x|<---bitmap2------->|x|<-----free -------------------------------->| AFTER DEALLOCATING bitmap1 and ALLOCATING bitmap2
|<---free ----->|x|<---free --------->|x|<---bitmap3--------->|x|<-----free -------->| AFTER DEALLOCATING bitmap2 and ALLOCATING bitmap3
|<---free ----->|x|<---free --------->|x|<---free ----------->|x|<---bitmap4----------->| FAILS

Perhaps the allocation of |x| is not obvious. The two examples of fragmenting allocations that are in the code segment you provided are:
msgport = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
screen.SetPort(msgport)

and

codes = bslUniversalControlEventCodes()

Move both of these code segments to before the NewFile label. And remove array of regions.

Then let us know how that works!
0 Kudos
BinaryMadman
Visitor

I'm not sure cropping would work right since it would cut off the text balloons at odd places. I tried saving the images to the tmp: drive but could only get one to be saved there so i scrapped that. I think i'm just bad at programming. Smiley LOL

Umm...i think my Roku is doing voodoo or something, haha. I rearranged the image file names surrounding, and including, the image file that throws the invalid bitmap error to "z11.jpg, z12-13.jpg, and z14.jpg" instead of the original "11.jpg, 12-13.jpg, and 14.jpg" so that they would appear at the bottom of the list of images in the directory. Somehow the Roku device automatically rearranged them again to the order they are supposed to be in while keeping the zXX.jpg file name. Is that normal for this system, arranging files from right to left maybe?

Screenshot of what i'm talking about(telnet session):
http://i.imgur.com/k7ngM.jpg

Edit: MSGreg, i'll look into that. I didn't see your post until just now. I guess i'll take a breather and just enjoy the Roku for the time being.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I think that would be normal. When you rename a file it remains in the same location in the file allocation table of the device the file resides in. If you are sorting the read filenames in an array, then Z11.jpg is still further down the sorted list than 1.jpg since numbers come first.
0 Kudos