Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fizgig
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Thanks, I got rid of the AC3 track and then it did record the AAC track. Strange how it refused to put that track on some file types, I've used the same settings for hundreds of videos with no issues until today.
0 Kudos
fubaya
Visitor

This app is great!

I have one question, is there any known reason why it will load a video halfway then stop? I have a 2.9gig movie that will never play, the progress bar gets to the exact middle then hangs. Is it the size? That's the largest file I have and the only one that won't play.

Other than that, it works great on Slackware Linux playing files from a mounted NAS!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I deleted my original response saying I wasn't sure. I have a video that's 3.4Gig and it plays. There may be a problem with your video. It's often a problem with the audio when the video starts to load and then stops. You can look at my_media_log.txt in the server directory to see if there's any error message from the server, but I don't think there will be.

I'm wondering if videos over 4Gig will work.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

An interesting question. Some random speculation:

I'm sure the Roku box does not care since it is streaming bytes from a buffer. Likely a different story for applications running on a PC.

4 Gig is roughly the size of an unsigned int and unless your operating system is set up to handle large file pointers, this will limit file size. Linux, for example, has a kernel option for large files. There may be file system limits also. FAT32 only supports up to 4 gig (I believe).
0 Kudos
buenafe
Visitor

Re: Need help to debug why server is not running.

Thanks renojim for your reply. I was successful running Linux MyMedia.

My lessons learned:
1. I used mymedia.py instead of springboard.py.
2. I did not have the most current source code. I should have grabbed it from here:
http://rokumm.appspot.com/download instead of the link from https://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_server/archives/master. I assumed selecting "download source" was the most latest source code - it wasn't. This link did not have mymedia.py code - hence I was going down the springboard.py path to start myMedia.
3. I can kill the "rss_server.py" process if I was unsuccessful stopping the process.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
current: two roku XDS 2xs, dtvpal, boxeebox, kylo.tv,
radar: wdlxtv.com
0 Kudos
renojim

Re: Need help to debug why server is not running.

"buenafe" wrote:
Thanks renojim for your reply. I was successful running Linux MyMedia.

Glad to hear you got it running!

"buenafe" wrote:
1. I used mymedia.py instead of springboard.py.

Using mymedia.py instead of rss_server.py is very important. rss_server.py should probably be removed and springboard.py should definitely be updated.

"buenafe" wrote:
2. I did not have the most current source code. I should have grabbed it from here:
http://rokumm.appspot.com/download instead of the link from https://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_server/archives/master. I assumed selecting "download source" was the most latest source code - it wasn't. This link did not have mymedia.py code - hence I was going down the springboard.py path to start myMedia.

I was going to ask if you had the latest code. I often post the correct link to github, but the appspot link should always work (I just don't have anything to do with that link). You can get the latest version from github, you just have to select the correct branch - channel.

"buenafe" wrote:
3. I can kill the "rss_server.py" process if I was unsuccessful stopping the process.

I guess I'll have to take a look at springboard.py and see what's going on. At this point I forget who created that, but I don't think he's visited this forum in a while.

-JT

0 Kudos
fubaya
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
I deleted my original response saying I wasn't sure. I have a video that's 3.4Gig and it plays. There may be a problem with your video. It's often a problem with the audio when the video starts to load and then stops. You can look at my_media_log.txt in the server directory to see if there's any error message from the server, but I don't think there will be.

-JT

No error log. Oh well, it's certainly not worth reencoding it on my slow computer.

I played files over 4 gig in mplayer on Linux years ago, so I don't imagine it being a problem. I have a 4.6 gig file I'm going to download just to see.
0 Kudos
renojim

"stivosaurus" wrote:
I'm sure the Roku box does not care since it is streaming bytes from a buffer.

It does care since it uses HTTP GET range requests to request the data, so at some point the beginning of the range will exceed the capacity of a 32-bit integer. I couldn't find anything in the HTTP spec that says whether or not 64-bit integers are valid for range requests. I know the box is a 32-bit machine, so it may not even support large files.

"stivosaurus" wrote:
4 Gig is roughly the size of an unsigned int and unless your operating system is set up to handle large file pointers, this will limit file size. Linux, for example, has a kernel option for large files. There may be file system limits also. FAT32 only supports up to 4 gig (I believe).

That's a good point. FAT32 is definitely out and I'll have to see whether the Plugbox Linux version I'm using supports large files. The other question is whether Python, and specifically the CherryPy server we use, supports large integers.

-JT

0 Kudos
Woz
Visitor

I am having an issue with registering MyMedia. I go to the MyMedia Chanel and it tells me to go to the website and enter the activation code provided. I do this and my Roku just sits there. I am assuming that something is meant to happen after I register. If I try to hit Cancel it wont do anything either, so I end up having to reset my Roku.

Any ideas what would cause this?

Thanks

Chris
0 Kudos

"renojim" wrote:
It does care since it uses HTTP GET range requests to request the data, so at some point the beginning of the range will exceed the capacity of a 32-bit integer. I couldn't find anything in the HTTP spec that says whether or not 64-bit integers are valid for range requests.

Doh! Forgot about that part. I had a mental picture of the hardware happily pulling bytes out of a circular buffer until the cows come home.

The other question is whether Python, and specifically the CherryPy server we use, supports large integers.

Plain vanilla ints in Python are at least 32 bit (sys.maxint) so around 2 billion and change. Python also has a large integer with unlimited precision (woo woo!) and will happily convert between regular and large as necessary without complaint. The underlying file system will probably be the limiting factor here.
0 Kudos