Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goedls
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

I have not had any problems with the videos I have encoded with Handbrake. I have a bunch of videos from my brother (I don't know how he encoded them) that wont play. I can probably get the original file from him and re-encode them. For my personal DVD collection I have had to Rip the DVD using DVD Fab and then use HB to encode them. I think the copy protection is causing HB to crash half way through and was looking to save a step. Since I think it is an encoding problem and not a MyMedia issue is there a more appropriate forum I should be posting in?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I would think that anything that applies to streaming a video would apply to playing it from the USB channel, so the Video Encoding for the USB Channel thread may be a better place to ask for advice. I've been meaning to try some videos I have with slightly out of sync audio on that channel to see if it makes any difference (I doubt it), but I haven't gotten around to it.

I use AnyDVD for handling the copy protectioin so I don't have to use HB's decrypter. It costs money, but it can handle anything.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
HaleWarrior
Visitor

I think I posted this in the wrong thread before 😕

I'm having trouble playing anything on mymedia

I've re-encoded videos I think properly
General
Complete name : C:\video\1.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 247 MiB
Duration : 44mn 59s
Overall bit rate : 768 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2011-07-19 06:06:42
Tagged date : UTC 2011-07-19 07:04:58
Writing application : HandBrake 0.9.5 2011010300

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L3.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 44mn 59s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 603 Kbps
Width : 624 pixels
Height : 352 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Minimum frame rate : 23.974 fps
Maximum frame rate : 90 000.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.114
Stream size : 194 MiB (78%)
Writing library : x264 core 112
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=0 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=3 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color primaries : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M
Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 44mn 58s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 160 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 227 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 51.5 MiB (21%)

but when I try to load one of them the bar just goes up a little bit and then it bumps me back to the browser thing where I select videos.

Like the bar gets to [ |||| -------------------] quality ****

and then it just kicks me back out.
this is all it says in error log

DEBUG:root:serving request for C:\video\1.mp4
DEBUG:root:guessing mimetype of video/mp4 for C:\video\1.mp4. filesize is 259042395
DEBUG:root:serving C:\video\1.mp4

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
renojim

HaleWarrior, I don't see anything that's obviously wrong other than my videos say "Format profile: High@L3.0". Main or High are both supposedly supported. I have some videos that have the strange "Maximum frame rate" of 90,000, but they play. The partial loading thing is almost always a problem with the audio, but there isn't anything that's obviously wrong with yours.

Can you provide a link to a video that won't play so I can take a look at it? If it's small enough you can email it to me.

-JT

0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

Better late than never?! v2.0 beta feedback

This is a bit on the late side, but here it is anyway. =D

What my testing consisted of:
1. I added the beta channel, made sure I had the most recent server and then downloaded the beta files, and replaced the channel images/posters.
2. I tested several videos, the music playlist function, the (music) shuffle function, and tested pictures.

The Good:
1. All music, videos, and pictures that worked before still work.
2. The server seems much snappier!
3. The subtitles work great.

The Bad:
This may just be my computer or the nature of the beast (internet servers).
1. When in music shuffle mode there is a delay in recognizing remote inputs (pause & ff/skip). It's not a huge delay, but it was enough of one for me to notice. It does not do this when I am just playing a single music file or if playing songs on the playlist.
2. Sometimes there is a delay in loading some pictures in a folder (when full screen and manually changing pictures). I'll only see part of the next picture (in the file name box) before the whole thing loads. It only happens sometimes, most of the pictures load right away.
0 Kudos
renojim

Re: Better late than never?! v2.0 beta feedback

"canaws" wrote:
This is a bit on the late side, but here it is anyway. =D

Better late than never!

"canaws" wrote:
1. When in music shuffle mode there is a delay in recognizing remote inputs (pause & ff/skip). It's not a huge delay, but it was enough of one for me to notice. It does not do this when I am just playing a single music file or if playing songs on the playlist.

This should be the same as, or a little better than, the 1.0 version. While it's shuffling it's working pretty hard so there will be a slight delay. Do you think it's different than the previous version? Try shuffling photos and music at the same time if you really want to work the box and the server hard! Just FYI, about halfway through the song or so it should have churned through your music collection and picked the next song, so after that the delay should go away. Oh, and Rew now takes you to the beginning of the current song.

"canaws" wrote:
2. Sometimes there is a delay in loading some pictures in a folder (when full screen and manually changing pictures). I'll only see part of the next picture (in the file name box) before the whole thing loads. It only happens sometimes, most of the pictures load right away.

I'm not real sure what to make of this. I did change the scaling of pictures so that it automatically scales to SD or HD (if you have PIL installed). I think the server with PIL can scale the pictures faster than the box can and it helps tremendously with the thumbnails to scale them before they get to the box. Adding the PlayAll and ShuffleAll did change the logic a bit for those modes, but just selecting a picture to view and having it go from there should be the same. I haven't done a whole lot of picture viewing, so I can't say if this version is any better or worse than the last. Do you think it's different?

Thanks for the feedback! As soon as I can get everything put onto github I'm going to push v2.0 out and then I'm sure I'll hear some screams. 😄

-JT

0 Kudos
buenafe
Visitor

Need help to debug why server is not running.

I was able to run myMedia with Windows but not having success with Linux (Ubuntu 11).

The server is not running. I get the "Stop Server" dialog, but when I try to access
browser at http://localhost:8001/feed, I don't get anything. I see a Tk window with a big button saying “Stop Server.” I do see the "python springboard.py" process running in background.

python springboard.py
writing configuration
[b]http://0.0.0.0:8001/[/b]

I'm not sure why I am getting http://0.0.0.0 in the output.

As a second note, when I stop and try to restart server again. I get the following message.
python springboard.py 
writing configuration
http://0.0.0.0:8001/
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "rss_server.py", line 587, in <module>
app.run()
File "/home/buenafe/scripts/netguy204-roku_media_server-25aaa89/server/web/application.py", line 313, in run
return wsgi.runwsgi(self.wsgifunc(*middleware))
socket.error: [Errno 98] Address already in use
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
current: two roku XDS 2xs, dtvpal, boxeebox, kylo.tv,
radar: wdlxtv.com
0 Kudos
fizgig
Visitor

I'm having some issues with encoding some files, almost all of the files I re-encode work fine but I have some that do not, I followed this guide:
http://roku.yt1300.com/720p.html

but some output files seem to be missing an audio track even with those settings and do not work, the Roku retrieves the file when selected and when the progress bar is full it then quits back to the selection screen. Here's screen shots of my handbrake settings and the codec info as reported by VLC:

any ideas? The source is MPEG-4 Xvid MPEG audio layer 1/2/3 mpga stereo 128kbps 48000hz. It's the whole batch of 2 groups (16 files and 12 files) that do not work. The log shows nothing abnormal:

DEBUG:root:serving request for H:\Video\videoname.m4v
DEBUG:root:guessing mimetype of video/mp4 for H:\Video\videoname.m4v. filesize is 150830051
DEBUG:root:serving H:\Video\videoname.m4v
DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=150757618-
DEBUG:root:player issued range request starting at 150757618
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.0.190:8001/media?name=videoname.m4v&key=video
0 Kudos
renojim

Re: Need help to debug why server is not running.

"buenafe" wrote:
I was able to run myMedia with Windows but not having success with Linux (Ubuntu 11).

I've never used springboard.py in Linux, but I just tried it and it seems to be pretty messed up. It looks like it's trying to run rss_server.py and it should be running mymedia.py. You should be able to just run mymedia.py directly:
python mymedia.py &

See this post for how to create a basic startup script that will start it automatically.

"buenafe" wrote:
The server is not running. I get the "Stop Server" dialog, but when I try to access browser at http://localhost:8001/feed, I don't get anything.

You are doing this from the server itself and not from a different machine, right? You're later error message implies the server is running. From the command line, type
ps aux | grep python
and you'll see any python scripts that are running. I'll bet you see rss_server.py listed.

"buenafe" wrote:
I'm not sure why I am getting http://0.0.0.0 in the output.

That's normal. I've never bothered to look into where it comes from.

"buenafe" wrote:
As a second note, when I stop and try to restart server again. I get the following message.
python springboard.py 
writing configuration
http://0.0.0.0:8001/
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "rss_server.py", line 587, in <module>
app.run()
File "/home/buenafe/scripts/netguy204-roku_media_server-25aaa89/server/web/application.py", line 313, in run
return wsgi.runwsgi(self.wsgifunc(*middleware))
socket.error: [Errno 98] Address already in use

That implies the server is still running and the stop didn't work (it didn't for me either). Trying to start a new instance will get an error message since the port (8001 by default) is already in use. The "rss_server.py" text implies springboard is starting the wrong thing. I have to be honest, I never had much use for springboard.py except for packaging the channel. I thing it's easier to just start mymedia.py directly.

One more thing I noticed in my Ubuntu experiment is that springboard.py fills in the server IP address as 127.0.1.1. I forget exactly why that happens, but if you get the same thing you'll have to manually enter your server's IP address (or fix the underlying problem). If you start mymedia.py directly it should print out something like
"submitting 'http://192.168.1.104:8001' to rendezvous server as asdf"
If it has the "127.0.1.1" IP address instead, it's wrong.

Are you moving your server from a Windows machine to a Linux machine, or are you trying to have two servers?

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"fizgig" wrote:
I'm having some issues with encoding some files, almost all of the files I re-encode work fine but I have some that do not.

I think there's two separate issues here. The first is why Handbrake isn't adding the AAC track. I can't answer that; you might have better luck in the Video Encoding for the USB Channel.

As for the file with only one audio track not playing, in order to play videos with AC3 audio your box's "Audio mode" must be set to "5.1 surround sound" and you have to have an AC3 capable device connected via HDMI or the optical audio output.

-JT

0 Kudos