Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

So far I've been able to tweak stuff to get things working on Win 7, but a blocking issue remains: I cannot get the registration to have an effect on my Roku. I've added the channel, opened it, taken the value and entered it at http://rokumm.appspot.com/, but the box display doesn't change. Any ideas?

A couple of minor things I noticed:
* I have Python 2.7 installed and am trying to get it to work with that. Seems fine so far, but the PIL version is different, so a different link may be needed on your setup instructions.
* The Python 2.6 path is hard coded in one of the startup scripts (probably a batch script)
* The batch script dumps you in a subdirectory so restarting requires a ..\<script>.bat call. Not a big deal, but a pushd/popd might be needed
* The default path for music and video was incorrect on my machine, but there was no error indication. It should be C:\Users\<user>\Pictures
* there is no entry in the ini file for the registration code, is this required? I saw it in one of the forum posts here, so I just added it. Didn't seem to have any impact, but maybe it's downstream from where I'm currently stuck.

So, any thoughts on why I can't register?

Thanks,
Dave
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

2.7 isn't really supported. The last time I looked, PIL wasn't available for 2.7. It isn't absolutely necessary, but it helps. I think I tried the server under 2.7 a while ago and it worked, but I can't be sure. It would be hard to say if your problems have anything to do with 2.7.

Edit: I just tried 2.7 and it didn't really work. I could browse my music folders, but it looks like the eyeD3 package isn't working under 2.7 so no songs are displayed.

If you have Python properly installed, you can just double click the mymedia.py file to start the server, so the batch file isn't really necessary. Feel free to modify it for your situation.

I just tried configuring the server on Windows 7 and the default paths were correct. I don't know what could have happened in your case.

As to why you can't register, it sounds like your box isn't communicating with http://rokumm.appspot.com/. Is your box's connection to the Internet ok? Make sure things like Netflix and the Channel Store are working. It could also be that the http://rokumm.appspot.com/ site is having problems.

There's two ways to get past the registration. The easy way is via the web interface. Entering the code should send it to http://rokumm.appspot.com/ and add the line "regid = xxxx" to config.ini. If it's not getting added, then I'm not real sure what's going on. Did you get the "Registration Complete" page? The other way is to just add the line yourself and restart the server. When you start the server, is should print out "submitting <your server IP> to rendezvous server as xxxx". The rendezvous server sometimes has problems, so if an error message is printed out you'll have to close and restart the MyMedia server.

Good luck!
-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

You're right, I'm seeing the same thing with 2.7. I'll downgrade. Thanks for the other info, I will try this.
0 Kudos
renojim

I think downgrading is your best bet unless you need 2.7 for something else. I believe there's an eyeD3 version for 2.7, but I try not to get too involved in the server/Python side of things, so I can't say if that's all you'd need.

-JT

0 Kudos
athirukk
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
If you can get Python v2.6 setup on your NAS, the rest is easy.

-JT

I am happy that I can successfully setup MyMedia in my XP with MP3s, Photos and Videos (Roku compliant) working fine in my Roku XD (wirelessly) 😄 .

I would like to turn off my XP and set everything in NAS. I have a Netgear router with USB option. I have a USB drive (4GB). Is this called as NAS? If so, I can hook up this USB drive to my XP and install Python 2.6 with PIL in it (instead of C:\Python26, install in some G:\Python26 where G is my Pen drive).

Then, copy MyMedia related files in that Pen drive. Hookup back this Pen drive to my Netgear router's USB.

Then, How do I start the MyMedia Server?

I may be completely wrong with my assumption of NAS, but If I can leverage my Netgear USB option to turn off my XP, that will be great!

Shed some light....

-AT
0 Kudos
renojim

It may be possible. What's the model number of your router? Even if it is possible, it may take a lot of work.

-JT

0 Kudos
rilex
Visitor

No, you would need to A) use a Linux MIPS-compiled version of Python and B) your Netgear would have to be running Linux (some are, some aren't) and allow you to mount the file systems in a way that would allow you to interact with them from the command line (ssh/telnet session). The only problem is, the device is going to be extremely memory-limited and may not have enough memory to run Python.
0 Kudos
Bron
Visitor

Well, late to the party, but I just installed My Media and just wanted to say "Nice job!" -- definitely the easiest one to install I've tried so far. Very nice and easy setup and it works! None of the muss and fuss of others I've tried,

Thanks so much -- this is a great addition to my Roku!
0 Kudos
renojim

You're welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

-JT

0 Kudos
athirukk
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
It may be possible. What's the model number of your router? Even if it is possible, it may take a lot of work.

-JT

Netgear N600, Model: WNDR3400
0 Kudos