Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"sammpath" wrote:
I was using different versions of MM.
Now I cleaned up everything and wanted to get a freshstart. In Roku I added this private channel.
Started -> Gave the activation code.
Now went to rokumm.appsot.com and gave the code I saw in Roku. Now normally it used to go to the next page for configuration. But now that page is not moving. I am still in the screen which displays the code. In my pc, it took me to the walkthrough page.
Did I miss something?

Did the channel on the Roku acknowledge the code?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim

"nico1982" wrote:
I'm curious and while I've scanned upwards of twenty to thirty pages I haven't seen any information that could confirm or deny the possibility of using MyMedia with a non-local server. I'd love to use My Media (or something similar) with content that is hosted on the ftp of a website (for the moment)... essentially I'd just be using the hosting for the site as a place to store video files. That said, I really haven't been able to find much out there in the roku forums that takes something like mymedia or roksbox and alters it for a non-local media streaming solution... Has anybody had any luck with this? Is this something that could possibly work? Or am I completely off in the wrong direction. I'm new to Roku and working away at it, but am hoping to possibly limit the amount of time I waste on things that will inevitably fail. Thanks in advance.

I'd say it's possible, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to do the necessary modifications.

The easiest way to do what you want without requiring any modifications is to use a utility to mount the FTP site as a local drive or directory. I know utilities exist for Windows, although I've never tried one myself, so I can't say for sure that it would work. I'd start there if I were you.

-JT

0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"sammpath" wrote:
Now I cleaned up everything and wanted to get a freshstart. In Roku I added this private channel.
Now went to rokumm.appsot.com and gave the code I saw in Roku. Now normally it used to go to the next page for configuration. But now that page is not moving. I am still in the screen which displays the code. In my pc, it took me to the walkthrough page.
Did I miss something?

You're not done yet (note the big words at the top of the walkthrough page.) 🙂

The code page on your roku won't go away until you follow the walkthrough instructions, install the server, and enter your code one more time on a page you can only get to once you've installed the server.
0 Kudos
oxjox
Visitor

unable to execute gcc-4.2

Brand new here and already hit a snag. I'm not too good with DIY installs like this so a gentle hand would be appreciated. Here's as far as I get when running sudo easy_install --find-links http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ Imaging

sudo easy_install --find-links http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ Imaging
Searching for Imaging
Reading http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
Best match: Imaging 1.1.7
Downloading http://effbot.org/downloads/Imaging-1.1.7.tar.gz
Processing Imaging-1.1.7.tar.gz
Running Imaging-1.1.7/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-btDWif/Imaging-1.1.7/egg-dist-tmp-Pro2R4
--- using frameworks at /System/Library/Frameworks
unable to execute gcc-4.2: No such file or directory
error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc-4.2' failed with exit status 1

I don't know if this is related but, here's what I've noticed. The libpng and libjpeg installer states the following.

The libraries will be installed into /usr/local/lib, and the header files into /usr/local/include. libpng will also be installed as a framework into /Library/Frameworks.

Is the terminal command looking for something in /System/Library/Frameworks but it was installed in /Library/Frameworks?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
renojim

gcc is a compiler. I only installed this on one Unix style OS and I don't recall it trying to build the imaging library, but it may have. You don't really need the imaging library, so you may want to just proceed with the rest of the installation and see how it goes.

-JT

0 Kudos
nick_stang
Visitor

I'm trying to install MyMedia in Mac OS X (10.5.8-) and I'm following the instructions at: http://rokumm.appspot.com/walkthrough. However, I'm getting stuck at step one. I've downloaded the .dmg and run the sudo command Terminal. As described, Terminal asked me for my OS password and I entered it. However, nothing has happened since and I've waited 10 minutes. Is there something wrong? Before running the sudo command I didn't click on the .dmg file to attach it (because the instructions didn't say to), but I've done that since. Should I run the sudo command over again? (As you can tell, I'm a novice.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
renojim

You can skip the installation of the PIL package for now and go on to the next step until a Mac user can chime in and give you some advice.

-JT

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

"el.wubo" wrote:
"sammpath" wrote:
Did I miss something?

You're not done yet (note the big words at the top of the walkthrough page.) 🙂

The code page on your roku won't go away until you follow the walkthrough instructions, install the server, and enter your code one more time on a page you can only get to once you've installed the server.

Thanks it works 🙂
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

I've been throwing questions out in another part of this forum about rebuffering issues. I thought maybe I'd get some answers here. Even when streaming mp4 files to MyMedia I get rebuffering issues. These vids are under 1 minute long, and I've got the Roku wired to my router. With debugging enabled it will show my network speeds all over the range of 1.3 to 8.1 Mbps. Pretty straight forward router configuration, on a Linksys WRT54GS. Never any problems streaming music from same scenario or even from MediaFly, but videos rebuffer on that as well (most work fine though, as does Netflix).
Just had the cable provider out for checking signal levels and he got me a much better snr and downstream power reading. No change.
Dave
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
renojim

You're getting buffering problems through MyMedia with a wired connection to your router?! 😮 That just shouldn't be possible unless there is something wrong with your encodes. I'd suspect something wrong with your router. I have two suggestions for trouble shooting:
Try this video to see if it could be an encoding issue. If that still has buffering issues, I'd either try a different router or try connecting your Roku directly to your cable modem (reboot everything afterward and go through the network setup again) and see if you can stream Netflix without any issues.

I guess there's a third thing you can try if your router has wireless capability. Try wireless. Maybe there's an issue with the NIC in the Roku.

-JT

0 Kudos