Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSickle

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies! I was not aware that the channel setup had changed so much. I got it running using springboard on my Windows and Ubuntu GUI installs, and it ran flawlessly, but I had trouble with the headless server configuration. This was sometime over the summer, and I irresponsibly failed to check the rest of the thread for the updates. My apologies for the inattention.

el.wubo, I got the instructions from the original GitHub page, which I see you have updated. Again, I was working from old instructions I used in my previous attempts and was unaware of the changes.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm off to hang my head in noob shame and work on getting my local media to my Roku!
0 Kudos
JSickle

And...it works! Joy all around. I have some trouble pointing to my music folder, but I'll work on that. I am mainly interested in streaming my ripped personal DVDs to the Roku, and the server is doing a great job of that so far. I hate to ask this without searching the forum, but has anyone added a cron job to run the python server automatically on physical server boot? Or do people prefer to start the media server only when they need it?

Thanks again! Off to watch obscure German cinema!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

There's a couple of posts on page 57 on how I and a few others start the server from rc.local or from rc.conf. This is the script I use (adapted from markhood's):
#!/bin/sh
# Start the MyMedia server for the Roku Digital Video Player

# Kill the server. This is a python program so killall doesn't work.
# awk also doesn't seem to work with Unslung, so use sed.
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
export LANG
prog=`ps ax | grep mymedia grep -v grep | tail -1 | sed -e 's/ *\([0-9]*\) .*/\1/'`

if [ -n "$prog" ]; then
kill $prog
fi

sleep 2
cd /home/roku/server
nohup python -v mymedia.py > /tmp/python-rc.log 2>&1 &

You can call it from rc.local or add it to the DAEMONS line in rc.conf (if appropriate; I'm no Linux expert).

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Icesnake
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
MyMedia Private Channel
I'd like to announce the availability of MyMedia as a private channel for general testing. This release features a new installation process that doesn't require that you put your Roku into developer mode and doesn't require that you manually determine and maintain the IP addresses of your server and your Roku. This release does still require that you install python for your platform but we hope to be taking away that requirement soon as well.

This is all wonderful news (especially as MyMedia stopped working for me with the last Roku firmware update). However... I still want to take the Roku OUT of developer mode. Is there any way to do that short of a factory default reset?
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"Icesnake" wrote:
I still want to take the Roku OUT of developer mode. Is there any way to do that short of a factory default reset?

You take it out of developer mode using the same button combination (Home 3x, Up 2x, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right) you used to get it into developer mode. I did it myself not too long ago.
0 Kudos
drum365
Visitor

Mac OSX problems

I feel like I almost have this working on my MacBook running OSX 10.5.8. I get through all the setup steps, connect to my server at http://localhost:8001, and save my configuration. Then "retrieving..." with the spinning reel appears on my TV screen for a few moments, and then I get:

Configuration Error: Failed to autoconfigure server. You're on your own.

When I click "OK" the next window says:

Server Problem: Contact with the server has not been established. Check your settings and that the server is running.

I can access my server at http://localhost:8001 and see the configuration screens, etc. But I can't reach my server from any other computers on my home network by substituting the server's IP address for "localhost." The troubleshooting section of the documentation says this is a sign of a firewall problem, but when I go to my Mac's Security pane of System Preferences, I see that I have "Allow all incoming connections" checked.

I notice that the server's IP is in the 169.254.x.x range. My network is on a Linksys wireless router that assigns all DHCP addresses with 192.168.1.x. Is that part of the problem?

Thanks for any help!
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

Yeah, 169.254... probably means that it autodetected the wrong ip address for your server. If you don't already have a favorite way of finding your IP address, try opening terminal and running ifconfig. I forget exactly what the output looks like on a mac but you should see something that starts with "192.168..." in there. Go back to your server configuration page (http://localhost:8001/configure) and enter in that address and click save... then exit and restart the channel.
0 Kudos
drum365
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
Yeah, 169.254... probably means that it autodetected the wrong ip address for your server. If you don't already have a favorite way of finding your IP address, try opening terminal and running ifconfig. I forget exactly what the output looks like on a mac but you should see something that starts with "192.168..." in there. Go back to your server configuration page (http://localhost:8001/configure) and enter in that address and click save... then exit and restart the channel.

Yay! It's working! All I had to do was manually set the server IP address to the IP address of my Mac, and... it's alive!

Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

If your Mac is your MyMedia server, then yes.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
drum365
Visitor

Oops - typo!

So I just got MyMedia running, and browsing around, I notice the "My Streams" item says "Floder" under it. Not "Folder" - "Floder". Might be something to fix on the next update!
0 Kudos