Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Icesnake
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Converting to MP4 the easy way:

First-time use:

Get DVDfab Decryptor. I'm using the free version (DVDFab HD Decrypter 7.0.9.3), but now that I have found out what it can do, I'm giving serious thought to buying the "full monty" version. Run it.
    On the left-hand side click "DVD to Mobile."
    Select "iPad."
    On the "Source:" bar choose your DVD (folder icon) or an ISO file (the other icon).
    On the "Target" bar choose the desired output location.
    DVDfab will have auto-selected the longest video on the disk; change this if you need to.
    Select your language and subtitle options.
    Next to the "profile" button, click "Edit." Modify the settings to your preference, then hit "Set as Default" followed by "OK"
    Click "Start" and go do something else for a while.

Subsequent use:

Run DVDfab.
    On the "Source:" bar choose your DVD (folder icon) or an ISO file (the other icon).
    On the "Target" bar choose the desired output location.
    DVDfab will have auto-selected the longest video on the disk; change this if you need to.
    Select your language and subtitle options.
    Click "Start" and go do something else for a while.

When it's finished, you'll hear a sound (if your sound is on) and the result will be neatly titled and stored in an appropriately-named folder inside the "Target" folder you chose.

I have not yet tried this with multiple conversions from the same disk. I'd be interested in the results if anyone does before I do.
midiwall
Visitor

"Icesnake" wrote:
Converting to MP4 the easy way:

Run DVDfab.

DVDFab is wonderful but it's very broken right now for Mobile conversions. "Broken" is defined as progressive audio/video sync issues that end up leaving the video out of sync by 3-5 seconds at the end of a 90min movie.

The author just released a new beta that's said to fix it, but the results look mixed:
http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=7450

The main research thread about the issues is here:
http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=5149
:: Mark
0 Kudos
Icesnake
Visitor

"myplanet" wrote:
If my internet connection is dropped, and I bring everything up, IP addresses are different for PC and ROKU.
Working on the theory that you are using a NAT router, so that your IP addresses fall into the "private" ranges (usually 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255 or 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255), why not just assign either DHCP reservations, or static IP addresses to your Roku and your server? Then the numbers won't change.
0 Kudos
Icesnake
Visitor

"midiwall" wrote:
DVDFab is wonderful but it's very broken right now for Mobile conversions. "Broken" is defined as progressive audio/video sync issues that end up leaving the video out of sync by 3-5 seconds at the end of a 90min movie.

I converted a 6-hour video today. Audio is still synced at the end and every spot I checked in between. I suspect the trick is to maintain a final file size of 2 gigs or less.
0 Kudos
midiwall
Visitor

"Icesnake" wrote:
"midiwall" wrote:

I converted a 6-hour video today. Audio is still synced at the end and every spot I checked in between. I suspect the trick is to maintain a final file size of 2 gigs or less.

Cool. And you're using 7.5.0.9? I did 3 movies today, two are good, one is not.

It looks like the beta is way better, but there still might be some work to do. The product is overall excellent.
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

It's dart night (so I'm wasted), but have any of you guys tried Chaneru ?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Nope. No need to!

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Icesnake
Visitor

"midiwall" wrote:
"Icesnake" wrote:

Cool. And you're using 7.5.0.9? I did 3 movies today, two are good, one is not.

It looks like the beta is way better, but there still might be some work to do. The product is overall excellent.

I was using 7.5.0.9 indeed. However, as of last night I am using Daniusoft's DVD to iPad converter - registration is free if you "like" them on Faebook. See http://www.facebook.com/Daniusoft

This actually works much better - I can go straight from a decrypted ISO (made with DVDfab HD - the ripper is still free) to a complete set of MP4 files, converting every video on the disk at one time. Of course, I usually only want one on a movie DVD, but the TV series disks will go faster for me like this.

I set the quality to give me large files; audio sync is still good with a 3.5 gig MP4
0 Kudos
midiwall
Visitor

"Icesnake" wrote:
However, as of last night I am using Daniusoft's DVD to iPad converter - registration is free if you "like" them on Faebook. See http://www.facebook.com/Daniusoft

This actually works much better - I can go straight from a decrypted ISO (made with DVDfab HD - the ripper is still free) to a complete set of MP4 files, converting every video on the disk at one time. Of course, I usually only want one on a movie DVD, but the TV series disks will go faster for me like this.

I set the quality to give me large files; audio sync is still good with a 3.5 gig MP4

Interesting... Downloaded and keycode gotten. Lesse if I can set it up and fire it off remotely. 🙂

Thanks for the tip!

edit: I have conversions running now, I'll report back later.
One thing to note is a tagline on their website. The Facebook promo copy does NOT include free upgrades or technical support.
0 Kudos
Icesnake
Visitor

"midiwall" wrote:
One thing to note is a tagline on their website. The Facebook promo copy does NOT include free upgrades or technical support.

My feeling is that upgrades and tech support are for people who can't get MyMedia working anyhow. Smiley LOL Other than a speed increase (which we could get with new hardware, in theory), what would an upgrade give us?
0 Kudos