Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

I misunderstood when you said it displays "none". I thought you weren't even seeing the contents of your folders. First, make sure you have the latest version. It supports photos and internet audio streams along with music and videos. One thing I'm not sure about is your version of Python. I haven't tried it with v2.7, only v2.6. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I know v3 does not work. Second, it mainly supports mp3s with limited support for wma, but if you're seeing your songs listed then they must be mp3s or wma. For HandBrake, I've had the best results with HandBrakeCLI. I use this command:
HandBrakeCLI -i origvid.avi -o convertedvid.m4v -O -r 29.97
The -O is important and the '-r 29.97' avoids rebuffering issues that some videos have.

Once you have the latest version, let me know if you still have problems.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
seracious
Visitor

JT-
Thanks again for the help. I managed to work it out this time. I had a couple things I was doing wrong, the first being that I hadn't configured the Roku IP address correctly with the new version. So I thought I had correctly installed it while I was running an older one. I couldn't get the new version to install correctly with just the Install Client feature, though since I was already in my browser where I'd deleted the old, I was able to reinstall it there.

So, it all seems to work. I never had any luck with the PIL stuff, finding it too complicated to track down that other component (gcc-4.2.2?) and not really of interest since I was aiming for the music feature anyhow. The shuffle is funny for me, seems to work its way through the alphabet slowly, starting with "A" bands, then moving on to "B" and so on. It doesn't hit all the artists, and I didn't play long enough to really feel it out but it progressed like that for the better part of an hour. I have a ton of music and only got into the Bs before switching it off. I appreciate the ability to check what track is playing or just let it got to screensaver since I don't need to leave that image on my plasma all day long.

Thanks again for your persistence, and I look forward to tracking future updates if they continue.
Mike
0 Kudos
renojim

You must have a LOT of music! The shuffle function isn't purely random, but as you've noticed makes its way through your collection somewhat alphabetically by how you have your music folders organized. The longer the song, the farther it will go to seek the next song. The process is somewhat time consuming since it's all handled by the code on the Roku. I have been tweaking the "algorithm" it uses. Right now, it's somewhat conservative in how many songs it will randomly skip before it chooses the next one. At some point I may move more of the processing to the server-side where there's much more power.

The PIL stuff isn't absolutely necessary; it will just be sluggish if you try to view photos.

I'm glad you got it working!
-JT

0 Kudos
quikone
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
I misunderstood when you said it displays "none". I thought you weren't even seeing the contents of your folders. First, make sure you have the latest version. It supports photos and internet audio streams along with music and videos. One thing I'm not sure about is your version of Python. I haven't tried it with v2.7, only v2.6. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I know v3 does not work. Second, it mainly supports mp3s with limited support for wma, but if you're seeing your songs listed then they must be mp3s or wma. For HandBrake, I've had the best results with HandBrakeCLI. I use this command:
HandBrakeCLI -i origvid.avi -o convertedvid.m4v -O -r 29.97
The -O is important and the '-r 29.97' avoids rebuffering issues that some videos have.

Once you have the latest version, let me know if you still have problems.

-JT

BTW; Thanks for all your help. I have replaced python 2.7 with 2.6. I have followed and installed the latest version of My Media, I like the new additions, the interface looks great. Now when I pick a video that has been run through Handbrake it goes to the video and attempts to start it, I get a bit of a blue bar and them it returns to the previous menu. When I browse to the feed on my laptop, I see all the new folders, etc., if I drill down to a song or video, now instead of none, I get a blank white screen.

Again, thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
quikone
Visitor

I thought it would be good to share my progress with this little issue. Up until a few minutes ago I had been trying to get this working on a Windows XP box. I decided to try to get it to work on a Linux box. After about 5 minutes it is up and running without any problems. A big pain on Windows and easy as pie on Linux. BTW Ubuntu 10.04. Tomorrow I plan on changing the OS on the server to Ubuntu.
0 Kudos
renojim

"quikone" wrote:
I thought it would be good to share my progress with this little issue. Up until a few minutes ago I had been trying to get this working on a Windows XP box. I decided to try to get it to work on a Linux box. After about 5 minutes it is up and running without any problems. A big pain on Windows and easy as pie on Linux. BTW Ubuntu 10.04. Tomorrow I plan on changing the OS on the server to Ubuntu.

Very strange. Maybe it has something to do with Windows Firewall? I've installed it on XP, Vista, 7, and Ubuntu and they all went smoothly, but I don't use any kind of software firewalls. Tonight I installed it on a Vista virtual machine so I could try out v2.7 of Python and it took less than 10 minutes to get everything going. By the way, it works fine on Python v2.7.

I'm glad you got it working!
-JT

0 Kudos
quikone
Visitor

Hi all,

I've got a new question. I have quite a few videos and music on a separate drive hooked up by USB. Ubuntu recognizes it and I can move files back and forth from the filesystem and the drive. The system recognizes the drive as Music and one as Video. So far I have not been able to get Roku/MyMedia to see it. My Media will see the folders on the machine under documents, Video and Music but not the separate drive. I have tried /Video and /Music and also just Video and Music. Has anyone got any ideas? So far I have overcome my problem by simply moving what I want to hear of see to the system video and music folders. Would a sym link work in this instance?

Ron
0 Kudos
renojim

Yes, a symbolic link should work in this case. I haven't tried it myself (I have an Ubuntu setup for testing, but I mostly use Windose), but I know others have. I seem to recall some issue with symbolic links and playlists, but I don't know exactly what it was. Give it a try and if you can't get it to work I'll give it a try on my Ubuntu setup.

-JT

0 Kudos
quikone
Visitor

I tried it and so far the folders show up as empty sub folders.
0 Kudos
renojim

"quikone" wrote:
I tried it and so far the folders show up as empty sub folders.

It took me awhile to get it to work, but my *nix is rusty at best. Make sure you make your link correctly:
ln -s /dirtolnk /home/jim/music/nameoflnk
This would put a new subdir in /home/jim/music named 'nameoflnk' that points to /dirtolnk. If your link is correct you should be able to cd to /home/jim/music/nameoflnk and see all of the files in /dirtolnk.
A 'ls -la' in /home/jim/music would also show something like:
nameoflnk -> /dirtolnk

Let me know if this helps.
-JT

0 Kudos