Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"jca" wrote:
Also, I'm having a problem on my channel, which I suspect is related to the IP problem I'm having ... when I select the channel, it just tells me that no media is found, and just presents me with an "OK" button, so I can't see or modify any settings. I had originally been able to see the media when I first installed the channel, but I manually changed some settings on the Roku box (I removed the "/feed"), which was obviously a mistake. But now I can't get to that screen again? I've even tried uninstalling and re-installing the channel, but I still can't get back to the original settings. Any ideas?

I can't help you with the NAS problem since I know nothing about NAS, but the lack of a "Settings" option is strange. I won't be able to look into it until I finally return home tomorrow evening. Worst case, I can give you something to delete the current server setting. If you really don't want to wait and you don't mind setting up your box again, you could do a factory reset.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jca
Visitor

Thanks renojim, I think I figured it out ... I had inadvertently deleted part of the logical path for Python, so it wasn't properly executing. I fixed the problem and all seems to be well now. Thanks!
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

Just curious, what NAS are u using?

"jca" wrote:
Thanks renojim, I think I figured it out ... I had inadvertently deleted part of the logical path for Python, so it wasn't properly executing. I fixed the problem and all seems to be well now. Thanks!
0 Kudos
renojim

"jca" wrote:
I manually changed some settings on the Roku box (I removed the "/feed"), which was obviously a mistake.

Yeah, don't do that. 😄 The "/feed" got removed from the example on the setup screen. I'll look into why that happened (el.wubo?).

-JT

0 Kudos
sourbear
Visitor

I'm curious as to how I could incorporate this with my wireless IP camera where I could view my camera's feed on my living room TV. Anyone tried this?
0 Kudos
DeftOne
Visitor

"sourbear" wrote:
I'm curious as to how I could incorporate this with my wireless IP camera where I could view my camera's feed on my living room TV. Anyone tried this?

I'm guessing the likelihood of your IP camera's stream being compliant with the Roku DVP's video requirements (codec/file container) are slim-to-none. Also, authentication (username/password) would probably be an issue. Not only because different model cameras may handle it differently making it difficult to have a "one size fits all cameras" solution, but also because I'm not sure the Roku DVP could even send the authentication correctly. Developers, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Being able to watch IP cameras through the Roku DVP would be awesome, but I'm just not sure it would be possible without some sort of intermediary to deal with the video formatting (transcoding on the fly - which no one has been able to do as of yet, AFAIK) and authentication issues.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
sourbear
Visitor

"DeftOne" wrote:
"sourbear" wrote:

I'm guessing the likelihood of your IP camera's stream being compliant with the Roku DVP's video requirements (codec/file container) are slim-to-none. Also, authentication (username/password) would probably be an issue. Not only because different model cameras may handle it differently making it difficult to have a "one size fits all cameras" solution, but also because I'm not sure the Roku DVP could even send the authentication correctly. Developers, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Being able to watch IP cameras through the Roku DVP would be awesome, but I'm just not sure it would be possible without some sort of intermediary to deal with the video formatting (transcoding on the fly - which no one has been able to do as of yet, AFAIK) and authentication issues.

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply.
0 Kudos
DeftOne
Visitor

"sourbear" wrote:
"DeftOne" wrote:
"sourbear" wrote:

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

Just to be clear, I am NOT a developer. I'm just basing my opinion on my limited knowledge of IP cameras and what the Roku DVP is capable of doing. I could be totally wrong. 😉 Actually, I hope I am wrong, because I would LOVE to be able to watch my IP cameras through the Roku!

Hopefully a real developer can step in and confirm or deny. 🙂
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

Ok.. So I have Slimserver working on my NAS waahoo.. Now to try to get it to integrate better. I had a thought that hopefully one of you techies can help with. As you maybe aware, the main issue with Roku/Slimserver is that Roku likes to Cache a lot. So when you change the content to play on the slimserver to the Roku player, it takes a long time (30 - 40mins) for it to take effect (because Roku has cached so much). The one easy answer, is to essentially hit stop/play on the Roku which flushes the buffer. So here's what I am thinking....

On Slimserver there is a play button that I have to hit in order to play the song. Assuming that the code for the play button is in some CSS (I am talking way above my knowlege level), could I modify the action so when I hit the play button, it issues a telnet remote command to Roku to stop and play and then let the slimserver do its natural thing..(I think I saw something somewhere that tells you how to control the roku via telnet commands)
0 Kudos
renojim

"buaboo" wrote:
On Slimserver there is a play button that I have to hit in order to play the song. Assuming that the code for the play button is in some CSS (I am talking way above my knowlege level), could I modify the action so when I hit the play button, it issues a telnet remote command to Roku to stop and play and then let the slimserver do its natural thing..(I think I saw something somewhere that tells you how to control the roku via telnet commands)

You can telnet to your roku's IP port 8080 and issue remote control commands preceded by "press" (e.g., press up). The full list is: up, down, left, right, select, home, fwd, back, pause. I've found that just the first letter works fine (e.g., press u).

-JT

0 Kudos