Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobson_Media
Binge Watcher

Mass Update Confusion

Being a relative novice to the world of JSON and Roku, my channel updating process is driving me crazy. When I update the URL, it says all videos have ingested properly.

When I preview the channel, I see the updates reflected in both the background image, categories, and the video thumbnails.

All is well, so I Publish and see the Splash and Background images updated...but the actual videos haven't changed one bit.

Videos I've deleted are still there. New videos added are not there. New Categories are not there. 

I waited overnight to see if it was just a matter of timing, but still nothing has happened.

Does anyone out there know where the problem is with all this? It's driving me nuts. I'm happy to provide the JSON URL if needed. Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Mass Update Confusion

There was a blackout period, until January 5th. Could have been related to that. (Posting so you don't think its common or your coding had something wrong in it)

https://blog.roku.com/developer/2019-channel-store-blackout-dates

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

@AaronMSpelling wrote:

Actually has nothing to do with the blackout periods @37mediagroup  - only new channels where affected by that - it has to do with the feed update intervals Roku has - like 4 times / day or so. 

Did you read the blog post?  Specifically "During this period, no new channels or channel updates will be published "

Also the poster stated he was re-submitting a new URL feed, not waiting for the 6 hour cache to update.

0 Kudos
BWMedia
Channel Surfer

I have the same problem with my three channels.

• One channel was switched from SDK to Direct Feed - It is not updating just showing the search icon
  • One new channel also just showing the search icon
  • One existing channel that has the same information that has not updated after changing json file info.

All json files ingested and show no errors

We see the channels as updated with the new json file info, when we load them on our local Roku device.

Moved all the video files to a "https" site and still no changes on roku

I have waited overnight (last night) and 7+ hours today after updating again.

I sent an email to support and will wait for a response and detail it here in the forum when I am contacted.

I would appreciate anyone with info on what may be happening.

0 Kudos
BWMedia
Channel Surfer

I sent a msg to support on Monday and recieved a response yesterday that there is a bug with some of the the DIRECT PUBLISHER channels. My channels are part of whatever the problem is. I checked again today and was told that the engineers are still working to find a solution.

0 Kudos
Spacehog
Streaming Star

My channel's still down as is a number of others right now. 😞 

0 Kudos
BWMedia
Channel Surfer

I will continue to email the person from support that responded to me to see what the status is daily until we get some type of information.

Personal feeling is that they are reconstructing the back end and hopefully it is an improvement not a reduction in what we can do.

0 Kudos
BWMedia
Channel Surfer

This is the update that I received a few minutes ago. It is what I had expected. A major issue with an even more major fix that has to happen.

Jan 10, 1:22 PM PST

Hi there,

Thank you for following up. This channel issue was found to be related to a larger scale firmware bug. 

The issue has a fix that will be published within the next two weeks (hopefully sooner) and should return your channel to normal functionality. Please contact Partner Success if you do not see your channel functioning as expected by Thursday, Jan. 23.

0 Kudos
Hobson_Media
Binge Watcher

My channel is now showing ZERO videos. I can't reach anyone in the world of Roku, so we're just dead in the water until someone there decides to do their job.

Anyone else down?

0 Kudos
Hobson_Media
Binge Watcher

I'm not seeing the fix date...what is it?

0 Kudos