Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

Manifest file entries

Hello, in the Manifest file creating a channel there is a splash_screen section;
splash_screen_fhd=pkg:/images/
splash_screen_hd=pkg:/images/
splash_screen_sd=pkg:/images/

Can I remove this and not have a splash screen to still get approved for the channel store?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Manifest file entries

Unlikely.. the splash screen is displayed while the channel downloads in the background. If you don't specify a splash screen, it will use the channel icon instead, but I don't know if Roku would approve that. Is there a reason you can't supply a splash image?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

My channel when zipped is over 2.5MB and tells me that this will not work (too big) for Roku 1's so I am trying to decrease the images and fine tune what I don't need before zipping it up but if it won't get approved by the Roku store team then I guess I'll have to leave those images 😞

i don't know why it is getting so much bigger when I zip it up to side load it. Originally it is 2,025kb then I only added a couple 37kb png's then zip it, add so much over head. I dont get it
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"matrixebiz" wrote:
My channel when zipped is over 2.5MB and tells me that this will not work (too big) for Roku 1's

That's an old message that only applies to the original Roku 1s (now known as "classic models"). Those devices are no longer supported, so you can ignore that messaging.
"matrixebiz" wrote:
i don't know why it is getting so much bigger when I zip it up to side load it. Originally it is 2,025kb then I only added a couple 37kb png's then zip it, add so much over head. I dont get it

Have you looked inside the zip? Is it possible you've accidentally zipped up an old copy/zip of the channel with the new zip?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

Okay, if i can ignore it then that is good. I just didn't want it to affect anyone that may have my channel installed if I send in an update.

If I unzip it into a separate folder, only what I expect to be there is there. 1.9mb, just when I zip it with 7zip it bloats it to 2.5mb
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"matrixebiz" wrote:
If I unzip it into a separate folder, only what I expect to be there is there. 1.9mb, just when I zip it with 7zip it bloats it to 2.5mb

Yeah, that does not happen in reality though - ZIP files are not bigger than the origin. As a rule, archivers detect if compression of a file fails (i.e. expands) and then switch to "store". Almost certainly the ZIP contains old copy of itself (e.g. 1.9MB compresses to 1.25MB, x 2 = 2.5MB). Look inside the zip. If still suspicious, do not use 7zip but the OS one (select and right click menu both in Windows/OSX i believe).

In my experience, Roku reviewers are sticklers for splash screens - even as this is not officially mandated (carved in RTFM stone) - on two occasions have they objected to my submissions for not using splash. Instead of trying to argue, i chose to swallow my artistic pride^ and include a launch screen.

Saving space is a noble effort though. How about only specifying splash_screen_hd and not the others? Doesn't it get scaled accordingly in SD and FHD, effectively /3 the space used.

(^) i think that in some cases a thumbnail + "Loading... " text looks great, esp. because it can blend with the Theme in use (i.e. you get the theme's original background color + icon + text, makes for a smoother transition than a sudden splash).
0 Kudos
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

The zip looks clean so I'll try another program and I'll try what you suggested for the splash. Thx
0 Kudos
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

are there any issues using jpg for my channel pictures instead of png?
0 Kudos