I have been using the sample "video player" to at least get things up and running. My use case is deploying about 150 Rokus for a university's common rooms in dorms. We have the rights to rebroadcast our local OTA channels and have taken care of getting all of them streaming via HLS browser based JS and as stated got the basic working with video player on Roku. My questions are...
1. I don't need any tiers meaning categories, and would like to have the following behavior: Main Screen (Roku Home Page) logo then when launched a list of the various networks available then when it is clicked immediately start the stream. There is no need for program info, run time, ratings etc. I do need a basic description of the channel on the pre-launch page as well as the logo.
2. I also need to have the ability of closed captions. We are embedding it in the HLS transport stream as CEA-708. I built a test with instanttvchannel.com and verified that adding "eia608/1" to the field of TrackIDSubtitle works. But it isn't working in the "video player" example. I guess the CEA and EIA mean the same thing, but 708 is just the digital wrapper for 608. As well as I have no idea of the XML tag for that.
3. I like the ability to have the channel descriptions, logos, stream url, etc in the XML format that "video player" uses.
4. Also, is there anyway to completely lock down the Roku? I know I can lock it down by adding a pin to prevent any download of new channels, but is there a way to prevent the deletion of any channels or change any system settings? The only other channel that is going to be on there is SlingTv. Is there anyway to lock any changes to that as well or is that something that would have to be up to Sling and their channel to create?
5. Does anyone know of how many Rokus can be on one account? I plan to publish as a private channel. We would just like to have 1 account to control them all.
6. I would like any XML/images to be local on the Roku, that way if there is a chance the webserver took a crap they still could access the streams. I found the following code to allow the catagories.xml to be local.Any updates would be published to the private channel stream.
rsp = ReadAsciiFile(http.Http.GetUrl())
Any help would be awesome!