Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avishka
Reel Rookie

Is there any other option to build an app for the Roku platform?

Hi, I am new to Roku tv app development. I want to know is there any kind of different approach when developing an app for Roku tv. because I struggling to find resources about Brightscript language. Another thing is it's quite cumbersome to build UI on the development environment of Roku. The tool called RALE seems to be not working properly. When going to export the code it's showing nothing.

RALE.png

I'm wondering how the YouTube app is made for the Roku platform. When I'm researching about that I found this  https://cobalt.dev . Can't figure out what is Cobalt and TVHTML5. 🙁

IMG_4045.JPG

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Is there any other option to build an app for the Roku platform?

Check out 'Direct Publisher'. Its a bit limited, but kinda like Wordpress whereas SDK/Brightscript is like coding a website from scratch as an analogy. 

0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

Re: Is there any other option to build an app for the Roku platform?

Instant TV Channel might be what you are looking for. It's an online custom channel builder that outputs an SDK .pkg file. No Brightscript / SceneGraph programming is required.

www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos