Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

Is it fine for a valid response from GetChannelCred() to be a requirement for launching an app?

So I am switching the way Tiles creates/fetches user accounts to use GetChannelCred() instead of requesting the user's email address. An internet connection and an "account" are both requirements to playing the game (again, this used to be handled by requestings the user's email). If the GetChannelCred() status returns something other than 0 (success) after multiple retries the player is dropped to a screen that says "Unable To Fetch User Credentials".

So, as the subject asks, is it fine for a valid response from GetChannelCred() to be a requirement for launching an app?  What are the reasons that it could fail to retrieve the data, is it only if it's a sideloaded/unpublished app or are there other things that could cause a non-success status?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Re: Is it fine for a valid response from GetChannelCred() to be a requirement for launching an app?

I don't think GetChannelCred() should be failing in normal circumstances. There is currently a bug where an app "pending" publishing does not receive back the credentials (that should be fixed soon). But that serves as great illustration to "expect the unexpected", i.e. that many calls relying on external resources may fail - and to think what to do about it in each case.

Before you were using GetPartialUserData() to base account on email addy, yes? So what was your fallback if that fails, the same should apply here. In fact, if it were me i think i would use the email-way as a fallback for GetChannelCred(). The mere reason of avoiding publishing/review delays might make me do that (how are they going to test, if it always dead-ends at "Unable To Fetch User Credentials"?)
0 Kudos
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

Re: Is it fine for a valid response from GetChannelCred() to be a requirement for launching an app?

Makes sense, like I said I am attempting to get the credentials multiple times before declaring it as a failure. I noticed the bug where a pending app fails as well so I created a private channel to publish and do testing on and it's working swimmingly there. As long as there's no common reason that GetChannelCred() would fail under regular circumstances I think it should be a good setup.

As far as testing I'm not sure, maybe they could validate that the private channel and public channel are using identical packages and just do testing against the private channel '''\(*_*)/'''
0 Kudos