Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kng
Reel Rookie

Is it Possible to Screenshot in App?

I'm looking through the BrightScript Language Reference, is it possible to take a screen shot of my app? Let's say I want to do this when some event triggers.   

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is it Possible to Screenshot in App?

I don't know of any way to do it from within BrightScript other than when using roScreen.  You can take a screenshot from within the Utilities section of the Development Application Installer web page.  Just put a stop statement within your code when your event triggers

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
kng
Reel Rookie

@renojim 

Thank you for the guidance. I'm new to Roku development so please bear with me. 

Did I understand correctly that roScreen and screenshot from utilities section are two different solutions?

In my case, I want to have this as a feature on my app (not dev mode). User presses a key on remote and we screen capture in event handler. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

roScreen is a screen type (BrightScript component) used mostly for games or similar graphics type channels or screensavers where everything is drawn manually using 2D primitives.  The screenshot feature of the developer web page is completely different and is meant to be used while developing for something like capturing bitmaps to use for the channel store images.

If you're using Screen Graph there isn't any way that I know of to accomplish what you want.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDavid
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

You can use Screenshot Utility to capture images of sideloaded channels. Hope that helps!

0 Kudos