Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tunilopez
Visitor

International Development

Hello everyone,

I am a software developer from Argentina. I have a client that lives in California and wants me to develop a channel / app for Roku. I have seen that Roku hardware is not sold ourside the US so he has decided to sent me the hardware to me.

I wanted to know if it is possible for an international developer to work with Roku hardware. Is it possible to connect the hardware to a TV and see any channel (I don't care if some of them doesn't work, with just a few its fine for me).

I have also read that if i connect with a US VPN I could see all channels but that's not an options for me. I don't want to see "movies", I just want to finish my task :).

Let me know if any of you have any ideas.

Thank you :?:
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atheling
Binge Watcher

Re: International Development

I believe that if you have a TV equipped with an HDMI input you should be able to get the video from the Roku2. The analog output is strictly NTSC (North American TV) and not PAL which I think is used in much of South America, so you won't be able to check your work on a standard analog TV available to you.
0 Kudos
tunilopez
Visitor

Modern TVs here normally come with PAL/PAL-N and NTSC. Too many movies/consoles/hardware comes from US.
So based on your answer if I have NTSC on my TV I guess I could connect with hdmi or analog. If I don't I could connect it via hdmi. This is great :).

What about the restriction with the countries?
For example I know that netflix won't work with people that is not in the US, same goes with hulu I think. But I am not sure if all of them work the same way.

And what about if I create a channel? Does it work the same way? Or could I see it? Do you know? I just want to be sure.

Thank you very much!
Agustin
0 Kudos
atheling
Binge Watcher

"tunilopez" wrote:
What about the restriction with the countries?
For example I know that netflix won't work with people that is not in the US, same goes with hulu I think. But I am not sure if all of them work the same way.

And what about if I create a channel? Does it work the same way? Or could I see it? Do you know? I just want to be sure.

Thank you very much!
Agustin

I believe that geographical restrictions are enforced by the servers that host the content. I know that in the US I can use the NowhereTV channel to watch material hosted in Europe (BBC news for example) and Asia. It is possible that those servers would allow content to be streamed to your country too but I have no direct way of determining that.

With respect to a channel you create yourself, you are selecting the source of the content so you will be the best judge if it is available in your location and in the location of your client. You are also the best judge to determine if the content is available in a format that the Roku can use.
0 Kudos