Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LR-Tx
Reel Rookie

Intermittent loss of volume control

Roku Ultra [HD-4K HRD]. I have two of these devices, both of them will intermittently lose the ability adjust the audio volume and power-off the TV.  Both of these are of different manufactures [LG (CEC enabled) & Visio (IR only)]. 
  I've experienced this issue when viewing live TV or when viewing live or recorded TV from AT&T's DirectTV Stream.  I have manually searched for firmware updates, but my device reports that it is up to date.
  This issue started occurring about 1 or 2 days ago.  To try and overcome this issue, there are a few things I can do, but this temporarily fix, this issue reoccur: (1) Access the TV Guide then got back to the live TV station, (2) On the Remote, switch the audio voice control from on to off, (3) wait several seconds and retry the volume up/down button, (4) remove the power from the Rou device for 10 seconds then reattach the power. 

7 REPLIES 7
D-Gonzo
Channel Surfer

Re: Intermittent loss of volume control

I have the same problem.

uavflyer2k
Reel Rookie

I have had this problem for the last couple of months.

Happen intermittently and seems to be getting worse. It happened with one of my 4 Rokus (3 4K sticks on Samsungs and one Ultra on a Panasonic) and now is happening to all of them (but I don't use them all at the same time). Sometimes goes for hours with no problems and sometime has a flurry and stops.

Only affects the IR controlled functions Vol,Mute,Power the RF/Net controls are unaffected.

I'm sure they have a bug in there someplace!

Tried the ROKU "smart-bar" but they just go through the script that reboots so it just comes back.

not sure, but hope the this channel will get through the the developer team!!

TseChase

I'm having the same problem

Slammyj
Channel Surfer

I’m having the same problem and the same resolutions which are inadequate.  

Slammyj
Channel Surfer

I contacted customer support chat. Apparently there is no permanent fix to the issue so I ordered a replacement, non voice control/rechargeable remote where the RF signal stops working for periods of time.  The remotes are clearly defective based on the number of threads/posts. Roku Ultra (4800 series) 

LR-Tx
Reel Rookie

Slammyj: Thank you for posting a that link to the other group chat.  From there I read that many folks have reported a burnt smell from their hand-held Roku remote. From the time I unboxed my Roku Ultra's I too noticed that burnt smell [from both Roku Remotes]. Kind of figured that abnormal smell was just poor quality control, given that the controller functioned without issues; that is, up until the Audio Volume control issue.  Why did you have to purchase new remotes, does Roku not warranty their products? 

D-Gonzo
Channel Surfer

I did the same thing a couple months ago. Sent in the rechargeable voice remote, less than 6 months old, for replacement. Received the replacement and it is doing the same thing as the original.