Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajaypaudel
Visitor

In-Channel subscription Method

Hello,
For roku billing system  when we searched we found out we can create susbriction method as per month or per year or for certain period of time method but we want to know is it possible to make 1 time payment subscription ? And Can anyone explain in detail for thr in channel subscription  method?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: In-Channel subscription Method

Why would a 1-time payment be a subscription?  Wouldn't it be a one-time purchase?  Yes there is a difference.
0 Kudos
ajaypaudel
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
Why would a 1-time payment be a subscription?  Wouldn't it be a one-time purchase?  Yes there is a difference. 

yes we want one-time purchase and after one-time purchase we want to last long period of time and should not expire but when we  research, we found out for now roku support for monthly and yearly  subscription so is it possible to make  one-time purchase and if not then we will make yearly subscription , but we wanna know that when we make yearly subscription during the valid date again if we want to purchase does the validity date will automatically increase or not like when we purchase in 2019 then we will have validity date 2019-2020 but when we again purchase in between 2019-2020 does it increasse validity date 2019-2021 or not this is our questation
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I can tell you what I see for monthly subscriptions.  When roChannelStore is queried with GetPurchases, subscription purchases return three values:
purchaseDate - the date the subscription was originally purchased; this never changes
expirationDate - the date the subscription expires; gets updated every month when it's renewed
renewalDate - the date the subscription will be automatically renewed unless canceled by the user

In general expirationDate and renewalDate have the same value.  If the subscription is cancelled, renewalDate will not be present in the returned data.  Once the expirationDate is passed, the entire purchase will disappear from the returned data.

This is by no means an official explanation; just my observation.
-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ajaypaudel
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I can tell you what I see for monthly subscriptions.  When roChannelStore is queried with GetPurchases, subscription purchases return three values:
purchaseDate - the date the subscription was originally purchased; this never changes
expirationDate - the date the subscription expires; gets updated every month when it's renewed
renewalDate - the date the subscription will be automatically renewed unless canceled by the user

In general expirationDate and renewalDate have the same value.  If the subscription is cancelled, renewalDate will not be present in the returned data.  Once the expirationDate is passed, the entire purchase will disappear from the returned data.

This is by no means an official explanation; just my observation.
-JT

before the expirationdate if we again suscribe or if we again purchased then does the expirationDate  will automatically increase or not like for 1year subscription if we suscribed in 2019 then expire date will be 2020 but we again suscribe or purchase the product before the expire date does the expirationDate   will automatically increase or not?
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

There are no refunds, so if you cancel, you still have access to the channel until it expires.  And you can't sign up again as long as the subscription is still valid.  After it expires you can sign up again if you like.  And like Renojim says - if the user doesn't cancel, then it automatically renews.
0 Kudos
ajaypaudel
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
There are no refunds, so if you cancel, you still have access to the channel until it expires.  And you can't sign up again as long as the subscription is still valid.  After it expires you can sign up again if you like.  And like Renojim says - if the user doesn't cancel, then it automatically renews.

Ok, we are talking about, is it possible to renew the subscription before the expire date?
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

No.  It will say you are already subscribed so it doesn't show up as an available choice. As I said -- "And you can't sign up again as long as the subscription is still valid"
I suppose if you truly wanted to pay more money for stuff you already have access to, you could buy another Roku, or remove the Roku you have from your current account, then you could create a new account and factory reset the Roku and add it to the new account and force them to bill you on a credit card again, if it's really that important to waste your money?
0 Kudos