Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krh5150
Visitor

ImageCanvas loading screen for GridScreen

Hi,

Currently, my channel will display an image canvas screen for 4 seconds (as a loading screen) while the grid screen is being configured and loading. Depending on how recent the grid screen was accessed prior, it may just take the 4 seconds, but when first accessed, you will see the loading screen (4 seconds), then a non complete grid screen (meaning it takes a few more seconds to fully load all of the content).

My question: Is there a way to configure an image canvas screen to display based on the load time of a grid screen? I would like to have all content loaded before the image screen is closed and the grid screen is displayed. I'm not sure if there is any possibility of checking the status of the grid screen during it's loading of content. Examples would be much appreciated!

Also, does anyone have an example of an animated GIF file working in an image canvas screen? I would like to insert one, much like the default loading ("wait") circle graphic for Roku.

Thanks,
Kevin
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
krh5150
Visitor

Re: ImageCanvas loading screen for GridScreen

anyone?
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: ImageCanvas loading screen for GridScreen

If you're trying to avoid the delay of making API calls for grid data while the grid is displayed, then yes. You don't need to check the status of the grid per se. Just load the data for the grid while the canvas is still displayed and hold it in memory until you're ready to use it to populate and display the grid.
0 Kudos