Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daveevans

How to toggle between display ads and don't display ads

I'm new to Roku development. I just went through the Build A Channel course (it's like drinking from a firehose). The way he sets up playing videos without ads is totally different from the way he sets up playing videos with ads. I get the RAF stitching, but why the completely different video player setups? Also, I'm trying to set up a toggle between playing ads using the RAF and not playing ads at all. But since the two methods of playing videos are so different, I'm having a hard time. Would someone please help me out? Is there a Github repository that demonstrates how to toggle back and forth? 

thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuJonathanD
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to toggle between display ads and don't display ads

Hi @daveevans,

So if you want to use the sample channel without ads, you can run the EpisodesScreen sample from Unit 9. This is the last lesson before ads are implemented in the channel. I don't think you can toggle RAF on/off in Unit 10 - Video Ads.

The reason for the different implementation in this lesson is that the Roku Advertising Framework creates its own video player node for managing the video playlist within a stitched stream and preventing the previously displayed Details Screen from flickering into view between videos. 

0 Kudos