Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
belltown
Roku Guru

How to stream from sound card to TV/Roku?

I have a laptop running Windows 7 connected to my LAN. I have a Roku HD connecting my TV to my LAN.

I'd like to find a way to take any audio sent to my computer's sound card to be streamed across the LAN to the Roku box so I can play it over my TV's speakers.

Can someone give me an idea how to go about doing this. I assume I'll need some software on my laptop to capture the sound and stream it over my LAN (VLC perhaps??). Then I'll need some software running on my Roku box to receive the stream and output the audio to the speakers. This is the part I'm most unsure about. Do I have to develop my own channel to do this, or is there something similar out there already I could use or adapt to my needs?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

Re: How to stream from sound card to TV/Roku?

you may be able to use avcstreamer to make it a roku capable stream.

http://avcstreamer.com

check it out, you can use this to test the url

https://owner.roku.com/Account/ChannelCode/?code=DQMFC

let us know if it works, it be nice to see how you got it working
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
bfelts
Streaming Star

You could also use Winamp + Shoutcast on the laptop to transcode the Stereo Mix portion of your sound card's recording mixer audio, and use the Shoutcast channel to stream it back on the TV from the Roku.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

You should also be aware that, no matter what solution you come up with, the sound will always be delayed by at least a few seconds due to transcoding and buffering, so if you're wanting to redirect audio for a game or a video, you'll have a tough time syncing it up.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
You should also be aware that, no matter what solution you come up with, the sound will always be delayed by at least a few seconds due to transcoding and buffering, so if you're wanting to redirect audio for a game or a video, you'll have a tough time syncing it up.

Good point, although I'll primarily be using this to listen to music so it shouldn't be an issue.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"belltown" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:

Good point, although I'll primarily be using this to listen to music so it shouldn't be an issue.

What's the source for the music, if I may ask? There are already channels available for internet radio and local audio/video that may be able to serve your needs.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
"belltown" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:

What's the source for the music, if I may ask? There are already channels available for internet radio and local audio/video that may be able to serve your needs.

A lot of the music I listen to is streamed from various web sources. MySpace Music is probably the one I listen to the most. As far as I know they don't have a Roku channel yet. I looked into getting bluetooth speakers that I could listen to wirelessly, as my laptop's speakers aren't that great and I don't want to go with wired speakers. I thought that since I had a Roku and a TV and a LAN I could come up with a solution that used those instead of buying more hardware that I don't really need.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"belltown" wrote:

A lot of the music I listen to is streamed from various web sources. MySpace Music is probably the one I listen to the most. As far as I know they don't have a Roku channel yet. I looked into getting bluetooth speakers that I could listen to wirelessly, as my laptop's speakers aren't that great and I don't want to go with wired speakers. I thought that since I had a Roku and a TV and a LAN I could come up with a solution that used those instead of buying more hardware that I don't really need.

Uh oh. Now you've done it. You've mentioned another channel idea to TheEndless. Don't be surprised if he pops up tomorrow with a private channel that does MySpace music (or adds it to some other channel he maintains).
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"kbenson" wrote:
"belltown" wrote:

Uh oh. Now you've done it. You've mentioned another channel idea to TheEndless. Don't be surprised if he pops up tomorrow with a private channel that does MySpace music (or adds it to some other channel he maintains).

That might be tricky to implement. MySpace streams their music using Flash/RTMPE, which I don't believe is supported by Roku. Hence my plan to just stream my sound card's audio to my Roku.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"belltown" wrote:

That might be tricky to implement. MySpace streams their music using Flash/RTMPE, which I don't believe is supported by Roku. Hence my plan to just stream my sound card's audio to my Roku.

Ah, yes. That does complicate it.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos