Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philotas
Roku Guru

How to manage downloaded data globally? Array or ContentNodes?

On startup I download some data from a server as JSON.

Then I store this data in a global variable so I can access it from anywhere in the Scene Graph.

Now a scene graph might need to download more info from the server for complete rendering.
I also need to create custom lists of the data.

I do not want to have to redownload the data, so I need to write back the fetched data from the thread that fetched the data from server.

When I tried to write back data that was stored in an roAssociativeArray the data was not saved.
First I thought this is due to the data being copied by value not reference, but turns out, it also happened when writing the data directly via the global reference.
Can't a Thread Node modify objects of the global node?
It simply did not work and also did not throw an error.

Now I passed on to use to store the downloaded data in content nodes because this seems to work. 

1) Can a child not be appended to different parents so I can create custom lists (ContentNodes)?
2) Is it a good approach to put everything in ContentNodes after downloading from server or does this impact memory?

Is there any Doc which shows how to handle data globally in general?

thanks!
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: How to manage downloaded data globally? Array or ContentNodes?

Can you show a small, good example of what and how "does not work"?
0 Kudos