Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
belsokar
Visitor

How to Enter SD Mode?

Hello,

We are a new development team, and had a vendor build out a channel for us. However, our first submission was rejected due to several SD issues. We apparently did not test correctly in SD mode. However, we are testing on Roku 2 and 3 devices, and only have HDMI inputs to our television. Is there a way to force these devices into SD mode since it only offer 720p and 1080p as output options in the Roku settings menu?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: How to Enter SD Mode?

You'll need a Roku that supports SD to test that. The Roku 1 or previous gen Roku 2 (2720) would be a good choice.
Generally speaking, having a lower end Roku is a good idea anyway. The current gen Roku 2 and Roku 3 are the fastest models, and won't really give you a good sampling of your apps performance across all available models.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
belsokar
Visitor

I appreciate the quick response...however, my understanding was that we can roll out apps for support of only specific devices...is it possible to just bypass all SD models of Roku? or is that a no-no for Roku channel submission?

On a similar note, if I were to use an HDMI to composite cable on my roku, would that work to down-rez to standard definition?

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"belsokar" wrote:
however, my understanding was that we can roll out apps for support of only specific devices

Roku models that support SD also support HD, so there wouldn't be any way to exclude just SD. Channels can be limited to certain models, but you'd need Roku's involvement to set that up. Such granularity is not available through the developer portal.

"belsokar" wrote:
On a similar note, if I were to use an HDMI to composite cable on my roku, would that work to down-rez to standard definition?

No, that would just be scaling the HD output down to SD. You need native Roku SD output to verify SD functionality.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
belsokar
Visitor

Again, thank you very much....it appears there are multiple models, 2720(r) and 2720(xb)...they both appear to have composite cable options on the back of the device...should both devices support SD resolution? I just want to make sure I order the correct device, as we will be testing over the weekend.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Those are both the same device, only the number matters (2720), not the letter after (it's only an indication of original release, refurbished, and maybe another category too that I can't remember).

Any of these will work for you:

The key is that they offer composite out, and are "second generation" or newer, as listed here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku
0 Kudos
belsokar
Visitor

Thanks once again! I have ordered a device to add to our fleet of test devices. (Roku 3, Roku 2 (new), Roku Stick, and now Roku 2 -2720)...
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"belsokar" wrote:
Again, thank you very much....it appears there are multiple models, 2720(r) and 2720(xb)...they both appear to have composite cable options on the back of the device...should both devices support SD resolution? I just want to make sure I order the correct device, as we will be testing over the weekend.

Thanks!

It's worth noting that you can test SD over HDMI as well. As long as the box can be set to SD, it'll output SD on whichever connection is active.
0 Kudos