Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

How persistent is GetPublisherId() ?

Reading this, it is unclear to me:
"GetPublisherId() as String" wrote:

Returns a unique identifier of the unit running the script. The string returned is a Universally Unique Identifier (UUID) as specified in IETF-RFC 4122 with 36 characters (32 alphanumeric characters and four hyphens). The characters are grouped in the form 8-4-4-4-12, for example "123e4567-e89b-12d3-a456-426655440000". This identifier is different across channels so each channel will get a different identifier when calling this function. This id is persistent and cannot be reset;

What does it mean by "persistent" there, what are the boundaries of it? Is said ID:
  • unique-per-install (i.e. uninstalling and re-installing on same device will change it)

• unique-per-user (i.e. installing the same channel on all devices under same user account will return same ID)

• unique-per-device (i.e. ID persists on this very device, even if factory reset and switched to a new user account)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: How persistent is GetPublisherId() ?

Bump @Roku* ?
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

The last one. The publisher ID is derived from the channel ID and the unit's serial number. So for a given channel and a given unit, it will never change.

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Splendid, thank you. That line would be good to include in the doc.
0 Kudos