Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jedashford
Channel Surfer

How is focus handled with multiple components?

There must be a way to handle this since the keyboard widget has no 'ok', 'done', or 'continue' button. How would I handle focus when there are multiple components on the page?

For the below example, I give focus to the keyboard, but can never access the button group below it.

Here is the XML:

<LayoutGroup
id = "buttonLayoutGroup"
horizAlignment = "center"
vertAlignment = "center"
layoutDirection = "vert"
translation="[640,360]">
<Keyboard id = "exampleKeyboard" />
<ButtonGroup
id="buttonGroup"
translation="[200,500]" >
<Button
text="Change Email Address"
focusedTextColor="0xFFFFFF"
focusBitmapUri="pkg:/images/va_button.9.png"
iconUri="pkg:/images/empty_small.png"
focusedIconUri="pkg:/images/empty_small.png"
showFocusFootprint="true"
/>

<Button
text="Back"
focusedTextColor="0xFFFFFF"
focusBitmapUri="pkg:/images/va_button.9.png"
iconUri="pkg:/images/empty_small.png"
focusedIconUri="pkg:/images/empty_small.png"
showFocusFootprint="true"
/>
</ButtonGroup>
</LayoutGroup>
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: How is focus handled with multiple components?

If a keypress isn't handled natively by the component, it'll be surfaced to the onKeyEvent function. In your example, you should get a "down" keypress if you press down on the bottom row of the keyboard, at which point you can change the focus to your button group. The same works in reverse when you press up when the top most button is highlighted.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
jedashford
Channel Surfer

This would work except for one point, the ButtonGroup is passign every keypress up the chain, so within the focus of the ButtonGroup the onKeyEvent is getting fired on every keypress. The keyboard widget handles key presses correctly (doesn't send up, but is contained in the component). Unfortunately, without some counters for button clicks and one off code, this wont work, unless someone has an idea for how to suppress key events while navigating a ButtonGroup, but still fire on an up/down while on the first/last buttons.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"jedashford" wrote:
This would work except for one point, the ButtonGroup is passign every keypress up the chain, so within the focus of the ButtonGroup the onKeyEvent is getting fired on every keypress. The keyboard widget handles key presses correctly (doesn't send up, but is contained in the component). Unfortunately, without some counters for button clicks and one off code, this wont work, unless someone has an idea for how to suppress key events while navigating a ButtonGroup, but still fire on an up/down while on the first/last buttons.

Can you not check the buttonFocused index, and if it's 0 and the key is "up" then change focus?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
jedashford
Channel Surfer

Actually, found that if I check for 'press' on the onKeyEvent then it returns false while navigating around inside the component. I'm hoping this isn't changed in a future revision of the API:

function onKeyEvent(key as String, press as Boolean) as Boolean
if press then 'returns false during navigation inside of ButtonGroup'
0 Kudos