Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: How do you take screenshots?

"destruk" wrote:
The resolution change happens on the roku home screen where the channels are - but we can't take screenshots of that.

i know the video signal changed to 1080p, that was never in doubt. But how do you know that the Home screen UI is rendered in genuine 1080 and is not just a 720 scaled up? Have you confirmed it with custom icons or how?

... and screenshots don't work with a video playing on Roku, but they never have there so no problem.

I have always assumed the Co is being skittish about copyrights on this - as in "let's avoid the whole consideration if a single frame shot is a fair use by just not allowing it" (aside from technical considerations).
0 Kudos
chaklasiyanikun
Roku Guru

Is it possible to takes a running stream SS? Currently I tried with Re: How do you take screenshots?

Is it possible to takes a running stream SS? Currently I tried with the Dev Channel. But, When I clicked on Screenshot button, It's showing automatically Blank screen. Is there any other way to take a Running Stream SS in Roku.

0 Kudos
necrotek
Roku Guru

Re: Is it possible to takes a running stream SS? Currently I tried with Re: How do you take screensh

You cannot take a screen shot of video while it is playing.  If you need an image of the video player while the video is running use a camera to take a picture of the tv screen.

0 Kudos
chaklasiyanikun
Roku Guru

Re: Is it possible to takes a running stream SS? Currently I tried with Re: How do you take screensh

Thank you for your wonderful Reply. At Present, In Roku any channel available in Roku through. which we can record the screen.

0 Kudos
necrotek
Roku Guru

You can use something like this video capture device 

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Game-Capture-HD60-PlayStation/dp/B01DRWCOGA/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywor...

but you will be limited to recording Roku UI only. With video you will have HDCP to contend with. Unless you are lucky enough to have an HDMI splitter that will Strip HDCP you will just get a purple screen. Those are hard to come by and might not even work with updates made to roku devices.

Otherwise, use you mobile phone to record video.  

If you need to stream to a client while developing you can set up an android phone with https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dev47apps.droidcam&hl=en_US&gl=US to use your phone as a webcam.

0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Those splitters that can do that are not that hard to come by, but you're right, they're not guaranteed to work forever.

0 Kudos