Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greubel
Visitor

How are the new channels doing ?

Do we have any stats on the new channels ?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: How are the new channels doing ?

You can check the download counts for your channels via the developer site, and unless you've rated each channel already (kind of annoying that you can't see overall ratings after you've rated), you can see the ratings for each channel via the channel store. The CLOC screensaver is destroying ratings-wise, with twice as many ratings as the next closest channel, Video Poker, both at 5-stars...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

strange cause once i voted for a few i can no longer see them at all...

not even in the channel store, i made the mistake of voting for all of the entrants i checked out. now i cant keep an eye on any of the competition! LOL

What is normal for channels be added? anyone? i have over 1500 with the warriors and 1000 with the Heading outdoors.

so what sucks is out of that many adds, i have less than 20 ratings combined... not sure the contest is going as any of us had hoped.

I hope the people who aren't posters on this forum are a bit more responsive, and happy. Because some of these comments are pretty harsh on some entrants
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Is this based on number of ratings or installed count ?
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:

What is normal for channels be added? anyone? i have over 1500 with the warriors and 1000 with the Heading outdoors.

We're seeing about the same install base with KidPaint. I imagine some have quite a bit more, but don't know.

so what sucks is out of that many adds, i have less than 20 ratings combined... not sure the contest is going as any of us had hoped.

I hope the people who aren't posters on this forum are a bit more responsive, and happy. Because some of these comments are pretty harsh on some entrants

Not sure how many ratings we have currently, but I don't expect most people that install it to rate. Most probably don't even know about the contest. Based on the number of installs, I think that's a fair amount of ratings. Check out some of the older channels.

As for the harshness, I think a little of that is to be expected from the forum members. Anyone who's in the forum, posting on a regular basis, and was waiting for the contest has invested a lot of time and effort so far (for a user). It's natural that if they don't see what they were expecting, whether it was realistic or not, that they would feel let down. Also, these people are used to Netflix, and the built in Roku designed Netflix channel, which isn't technically matchable currently. The bar is pretty high.

What I was hoping for, and maybe will still happen, is an email from Roku to it's customers outlining the contest and that there are lots of channels out. That would GREATLY boost installs IMO. Then again, Roku might want to see what sort of marketing the developers can drum up on their own. Clarification on this would be great though. I suspect most of the target audience for my app aren't participants in the forum (parenting leaves little time for anything you don't specifically MAKE time for).
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"kbenson" wrote:
"dynamitemedia" wrote:

We're seeing about the same install base with KidPaint. I imagine some have quite a bit more, but don't know.

I'm averaging about the same across all three of my channels.
I made the same mistake of rating a couple channels before realizing it would make it impossible to see the average rating, so I ended up linking one of my DVPs to a different account, so I could see the overall ratings.

"kbenson" wrote:
As for the harshness, I think a little of that is to be expected from the forum members. Anyone who's in the forum, posting on a regular basis, and was waiting for the contest has invested a lot of time and effort so far (for a user). It's natural that if they don't see what they were expecting, whether it was realistic or not, that they would feel let down. Also, these people are used to Netflix, and the built in Roku designed Netflix channel, which isn't technically matchable currently. The bar is pretty high.

Agreed. The general user, I imagine, doesn't know the difference between a supported video format and an unsupported video format, let alone what the SDK makes possible, so I'd take most of the negative comments with a grain of salt. Also, don't forget, that generally people will only post about something if they have a problem with it, so the negatives are likely to be exaggerated in a forum setting.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'm guessing this contest isn't going how the developers or Roku had hoped. I'm wondering how many of the channels will make it to 5000 installs and 300 ratings.

I like the idea of linking a box to a different account to see the ratings, although that shouldn't be necessary!

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

We're pretty pleased, there are some some quality channels in there that we are very glad to have.

I suspect most channels will get to 5k installs and 50 ratings without too much trouble. In fact, YB Games, CLOC, Amazon Shop, Video Poker, and ShoutCast already have enough votes to qualify (not quite enough installs just yet, except for CLOC which has already surpassed 5000). The numbers shown in the Channel Store are delayed by a few hours, so don't take them as gospel.

You can also uninstall the channel to see the ratings (your rating still counts)

We set the number of installs and ratings required pretty low so that you could campaign and get the numbers without too much trouble but high enough that you couldn't just get your friends to rate you 5 stars and then guarantee your place in the finals.
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

guess i never read the rules that well 😞

I didnt know we needed 5000 installs or 300 votes...

our votes are at 10 and 4... Oh well at least we tried!
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I know I didn't read the rules that well. 😉 I thought I remembered 300 votes, but I just looked and it is 50. Man, I really have to learn to read!

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos