Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btpoole
Level 7

Hold value for future call

What is a simply and fast way to store a value (integer) that can be called by any function at any time?
Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
destruk
Level 10

Re: Hold value for future call

prefix the variable to hold with m.
That sets it global.
m.myvalue="Hello"

Print m.myvalue

Hello
0 Kudos
btpoole
Level 7

Thanks, but for some reason when I use m, I get a type mismatch.

x=9
m.cindex=x

Something like this I get type mismatch. I can do m.cindex=9 and check value in print statement and it shows 9, but when I attempt to set it equal to a variable (integer) it shows the m as being invalid. I know it's something I just don't understand or am doing it incorrectly.
Thanks
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 8

You must be "doing it incorrectly", though not sure how.
BrightScript Debugger> x=9
BrightScript Debugger> m.cindex=x
BrightScript Debugger> ? m.cindex

Are you assigning any value to "m" as a variable? That's the only explanation i can think of. Don't do that, dare not touch it! The variable "m" is a sacred cow.

PS. on side note, here is my guess why the name "M" was chosen:
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

"EnTerr" wrote:
Are you assigning any value to "m" as a variable? That's the only explanation i can think of. Don't do that, dare not touch it! The variable "m" is a sacred cow.

I think you're forgetting that there's two "m"s - the global "m" and the "m" that's akin to "this" for an object. I suspect that btpoole is mixing them. I don't think you can get to the global "m" from within a function that is part of an object.

-JT
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 7

"renojim" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:

I think you're forgetting that there's two "m"s - the global "m" and the "m" that's akin to "this" for an object. I suspect that btpoole is mixing them. I don't think you can get to the global "m" from within a function that is part of an object.

-JT

You can by calling GetGlobalAA().
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

Hey, thanks! I do recall seeing that, but I've never needed it. I come from the school that says globals are bad. I use them sparingly if at all.

-JT
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 8

"renojim" wrote:

I did not forget that - but in neither of those two cases you'll get "type mismatch" as mentioned above. `m` would have to been mutilated somehow first.

A bit to the side, discussion of `m`: there are not 2 different M's as such. Rather, on function invocation the local variable `m` gets pre-set to one of 2 kind of AA's, depending on how it got called:
BrightScript Debugger> f = function(): return m: end function
BrightScript Debugger> ? f()
port: <Component: roMessagePort> 'outer M

BrightScript Debugger> obj = { g: f } : ? obj.g()
g: <bsTypedValue: Function> 'M = obj

BrightScript Debugger> h = obj.g : ? h()
port: <Component: roMessagePort> 'outer M

BrightScript Debugger> ? obj.g(), (obj.g)(), box(obj).g(), box(obj.g)() 'pop quiz

For evil hackers, one can modify it at own risk (e.g. `m = GetGlobalAA()` at the very beginning of the fn will guarantee `m` is always "global", no matter where the function is).
0 Kudos