Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Hold value for future call

What is a simply and fast way to store a value (integer) that can be called by any function at any time?
Thanks
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Hold value for future call

prefix the variable to hold with m.
That sets it global.
m.myvalue="Hello"

Print m.myvalue

Hello
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Thanks, but for some reason when I use m, I get a type mismatch.

x=9
m.cindex=x

Something like this I get type mismatch. I can do m.cindex=9 and check value in print statement and it shows 9, but when I attempt to set it equal to a variable (integer) it shows the m as being invalid. I know it's something I just don't understand or am doing it incorrectly.
Thanks
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

You must be "doing it incorrectly", though not sure how.
BrightScript Debugger> x=9
BrightScript Debugger> m.cindex=x
BrightScript Debugger> ? m.cindex

Are you assigning any value to "m" as a variable? That's the only explanation i can think of. Don't do that, dare not touch it! The variable "m" is a sacred cow.

PS. on side note, here is my guess why the name "M" was chosen:
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"EnTerr" wrote:
Are you assigning any value to "m" as a variable? That's the only explanation i can think of. Don't do that, dare not touch it! The variable "m" is a sacred cow.

I think you're forgetting that there's two "m"s - the global "m" and the "m" that's akin to "this" for an object. I suspect that btpoole is mixing them. I don't think you can get to the global "m" from within a function that is part of an object.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"renojim" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:

I think you're forgetting that there's two "m"s - the global "m" and the "m" that's akin to "this" for an object. I suspect that btpoole is mixing them. I don't think you can get to the global "m" from within a function that is part of an object.

-JT

You can by calling GetGlobalAA().
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Hey, thanks! I do recall seeing that, but I've never needed it. I come from the school that says globals are bad. I use them sparingly if at all.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:

I did not forget that - but in neither of those two cases you'll get "type mismatch" as mentioned above. `m` would have to been mutilated somehow first.

A bit to the side, discussion of `m`: there are not 2 different M's as such. Rather, on function invocation the local variable `m` gets pre-set to one of 2 kind of AA's, depending on how it got called:
BrightScript Debugger> f = function(): return m: end function
BrightScript Debugger> ? f()
port: <Component: roMessagePort> 'outer M

BrightScript Debugger> obj = { g: f } : ? obj.g()
g: <bsTypedValue: Function> 'M = obj

BrightScript Debugger> h = obj.g : ? h()
port: <Component: roMessagePort> 'outer M

BrightScript Debugger> ? obj.g(), (obj.g)(), box(obj).g(), box(obj.g)() 'pop quiz

For evil hackers, one can modify it at own risk (e.g. `m = GetGlobalAA()` at the very beginning of the fn will guarantee `m` is always "global", no matter where the function is).
0 Kudos