Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Hoarse audio in fw7 - or does my Roku have a cold?

So i noticed that the Roku 3 (#4200, 7.0.9044) i am using for development has developed a sore throat. That is, it sounds raspy when trying to do it's UI usual audio beeps.

What could be the reason, i wonder? Is it something about the audio subsystem in rOS 7 - which i saw complaints earlier. Or is it because i am doing non-BrS development - or is it an unrelated condition? It seems related to the UI and/or memory because clicking around a bit seems to clean its "throat" but later gets clogged again by phlegm.

I bothered recording it so i can share for diagnostic purposes. Here is the sick box:
Roku-Hoarse-7.0.9044@4200.m4a (box.com, ~120KB)
and here for comparison is a "healthy" RokuTV:
Roku-Normal-7.0.9048@5000.m4a (fw7.0.9048, recorded at the same distance, same speakers)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Hoarse audio in fw7 - or does my Roku have a cold?

Bug filed. Does this occur with triggered sounds in games, or is it only UI sounds?

-Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Thank you!
I think the raspiness was everywhere. After restart it is gone for now, i'll remember to double-check when it happens again
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I've noticed the raspiness (everywhere) and I've taken it as indication that it's time to reboot. Of course, you don't have to reboot, but if you don't it's going to crash soon anyway. Have I mentioned lately what I steaming pile fw 7.0 is lately? :evil:

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
I've noticed the raspiness (everywhere) [...] Have I mentioned lately what I steaming pile fw 7.0 is lately? :evil:

No? Do tell, what's so steamy about rOS 7?

PS. In Roku parlance, shouldn't the word be "stReaming"? :mrgreen:
PPS. i got a flu shot today... just in case that thing is infectious
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Do you not peruse the general forum? I'll let those posts speak to the steaminess lest I get started on a tirade that I can't stop.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Hi Enterr - were there any specific channels you were running at the time, or were you just in the middle of development?

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Hi Enterr - were there any specific channels you were running at the time, or were you just in the middle of development?

Nothing specific, i am afraid.
I don't know when exactly the transition to "hoarse" occurred, i noticed it after switching to the player and waking it from the "bouncy logo" SS. For all i know, could've been the screen saver or cobwebs. Wouldn't fix till restart though.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
Do you not peruse the general forum? I'll let those posts speak to the steaminess lest I get started on a tirade that I can't stop.

Rarely, if ever. The signal-to-noise ratio seems low in the General - or at least i don't have the mental bandwidth to filter it all. What did i miss?
0 Kudos