Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CanuckAbroad
Visitor

Help!! How can I adjust the buffer settings: ROAudioPlayer??

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum and I'm a newbie WRT Roku channel development, as well.

To get my feet wet with Roku development, I am trying to build a simple audio streaming application much like the NPR functionality in the Audio Player example that is packaged with the developer kit. Instead of pointing to NPR's stream, though, I have a personal web radio station that's broadcasted on my home network via Nicecast. I made a simple change in the source code to replace NPR's URL with mine and it worked perfectly... EXCEPT... there is a massive delay between what is being broadcasted on my web radio station and what is played through my Roku. I have tested with other devices to see if the delay was a Roku-only phenomenon and it is :(. It appears that the buffering that Roku is doing is quite substantial and is the cause of the 10 - 20 second delay. I don't mean to be anal about the problem, but it is really annoying when trying to manage playlists and song changes when there is such a long delay between action and result. Can anyone please help with this?? My home network is ultra-fast, so I think it could easily support a buffer delay that is less than one-tenth of what it is now. I have spent hours searching on the web and this forum for an answer with no luck - PLEASE HELP!!

Any feedback or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
AM
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Help!! How can I adjust the buffer settings: ROAudioPlay

This is a known issue. There are a few threads discussing it. There is currently no workaround that I'm aware of.
0 Kudos
cdgraff
Visitor

hi guys, some update for fix this? or some workaround?

thanks,
From Argentina
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"CanuckAbroad" wrote:
It appears that the buffering that Roku is doing is quite substantial and is the cause of the 10 - 20 second delay.

What is the bitrate of the media?

- Joel
0 Kudos