Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bandal
Visitor

Re: HLS on Roku1 works perfect HLS on Roku2 does not switch

Thanks, I will also have to test new files in various bitrates.

Update, Just encoded 3 bitrates to see it on Roku2 XS. I did a 360, 768 and 2000.

Watched it in 360kbps for about 20+ seconds and very pixelated before it switched to a higher rate and was clear, then switched to the 2000kbps. Works here. I used Sorenson Squeeze 7.0 to output hls and ftp'd to my web server.
DA
0 Kudos
axiomy
Visitor

Initial tests with FFmpeg and Apple Segmenter worked on my Roku2 it switched up and down seamlessly. We did have one of our test roku2 box that didn't want to switch. I am going to test it thoroughly and report back my findings with the Apple Segmenter vs. the Open Source Linux Segmenter.

Thank you so much for helping me override the 4.7 bug. When I take the switching strategy out on the XML it picks the closest stream but doesn't switch seamlessly. When I add the code to my switching strategy .brs and xml it finally works as good as netflix. Thank you so much!!! I have been working on this for months! I was beginning to think even the Apple Segmenter wouldn't work. Now if I can get the Open Source Linux Segmenter to work with out skipping forward or kicking back on volatile internet then things are perfect! If not, I guess I will be forced to use the Apple Segmenter until the Linux segmenter is updated.

Thanks again! 😄
0 Kudos
axiomy
Visitor

I wanted to report back my findings on the Apple Segmenter vs Open Source Segmenter. Apple wins with no artifacts when switching. The original Ion-Cannon has random artifacts when switching and random kick backs to the menu, or skips forward. Google Code Segmenter same thing, artifacts when switching and random kickbacks. The midnox/httpsegmenter seem to work the best out of the open source I tested, although it does rarely skip a few frames when switching. The Apple Segmenter was the only one that was smooth as silk up or down.

Who wants to download all the content to an Apple and upload it after segmenting for each server in the server farm? Not me. I will use the apple only if i have to upload it locally. If its already on the server the Midnox Segmenter it is.

If you are having trouble getting HLS to switch on Roku2 without going to the loading screen follow this thread. I now have HLS running running from 500kbps to 3.2mbps... IT ROCKS! 😄

Here is the segmenter I end up using the most

https://github.com/midnox/httpsegmenter

Thanks again to TheEndless for the help!
0 Kudos
axiomy
Visitor

Make sure your keyframes are all in the same place.
0 Kudos