Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rynop
Visitor

HLS not playing on fimware 7.2.2 with scene graph

I have this HLS reference stream from msft azure

I have a scene graph app, the video plays fine on my roku stick (firmware 7.5) however it hangs on buffering on my roku premiere (firmware 7.2.2).

I am aware of this forum post that says:
5) If your HLS streams are less than 1.5 Mb/s, they may take very long in the preloading phase. Roku considers this a bug in the current firmware, but there is a workaround. Instead of setting content metadata StreamBitrates = [0] for your HLS stream, set it to the actual bandwidth of your stream when it is less than 1.5 Mb/s. Example for 900kbps stream: StreamBitrates = [900]

However, since roku picks the best stream automatically I have no way ahead of time to know what bitrate stream it is going to pick.

Furthermore, when I observe the `state` field on the `Video` scenegraph node and try to dump the `streamInfo` object on the HLS during the `buffering` state, the `streamInfo` object is invalid.  It only becomes populated when the video is in the `playing` state - which in the firmware 7.2.2 senario never happens.

Here is my code that sets up the Video scene graph node:

Function setContent(contentItem as Object) as void
    m.videoContent.title = contentItem.title
    m.videoContent.url = contentItem.url
    m.videoContent.streamFormat = contentItem.StreamFormat
    m.videoContent.SubtitleConfig = {
        TrackName : "eia608/1"  'Not sure why this causes error, but its required
    }
    m.Video.content = m.videoContent
End Function

Any idea how to work around this bug? This is a pretty big deal for our clients.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
rynop
Visitor

Re: HLS not playing on fimware 7.2.2 with scene graph

Bump. Is my question un-clear?  Seems like the problem is common enough to be called out as a bug by Roku, just looking for a clear answer/workaround...
0 Kudos
elmik3
Visitor

Re: HLS not playing on fimware 7.2.2 with scene graph

Same problem, i cant play HLS with rokupremiere and scene graph, Could you solve the problem?
0 Kudos