Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmachine
Level 7

Go Daddy Root Cert missing on Roku XD (Roku 1)

It took me a while to figure out why SSL connections were failing on the Roku 1 but working fine on the Roku 2, Roku 3, etc.

I eventually had a look at this file both on the Roku 1 and Roku 2:

common:/certs/ca-bundle.crt

This is the file that I was using to set my certificate file with this command:

object.SetCertificatesFile("common:/certs/ca-bundle.crt")

To my surprise, the ca-bundle.crt file on the Roku 1 is NOT the same as the file with the same name on the Roku 2. And the important difference for me is it was missing the "Go Daddy Root Certificate Authority - G2" but this is included in the file on newer Roku models.

The solution was to download the ca-bundle.crt file from the Roku 2 (which I named /certs/roku-common-certs.pem) and include this in my package and then refer to that file in my SetCertificatesFile command. So my new command refers to that local file like this:

obj.SetCertificatesFile("pkg:/certs/roku-common-certs.pem")

Anyway, just wanted to post this in case anyone else was having a similar issue. It would be awesome if Roku could update the common:/certs/ca-bundle.crt file on the Roku 1 players. The Go Daddy certificate we're using I've got to believe is pretty common.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
destruk
Level 10

Re: Go Daddy Root Cert missing on Roku XD (Roku 1)

Or you could just download the certificates from GoDaddy -
https://certs.godaddy.com/repository
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 8

thank you, @tmachine - that's useful info.
Legacy Rokus (model < 2200) haven't seen much love in years.
FYI - in case you haven't heard, apparently there was email recently to selected few that the Co. will be actively discontinuing the fw3 devices.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 7

"tmachine" wrote:
The solution was to download the ca-bundle.crt file from the Roku 2

It's essentially just a text file, so I'm guessing you just printed it to the debug console, but if you actually downloaded it, I'd be interested in knowing how you did that.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos