Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeanLach
Roku Guru

Free Trial Tier via Roku Billing, is it possible?

I'm sure this isn't a mind blowing idea, but I couldn't find an answer on the forum. And the Channel Pricing (purchase type/pricing tier) page doesn't show this option so here goes.

I'm wondering if it is possible to offer a Public channel for a trial period using Roku's Billing services.

In other words, I'd like subscribers to be able to use my Public channel for free for a trial period of say...30 days.
Then after 30 days, I'd like them to be have the option to continue being a subscriber for a price (monthly, yearly, or one-time, etc.)
And if they do not want to purchase the Channel after the 30 day trial, then they would no longer enjoy the Channel.
Cut that Cable!
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Free Trial Tier via Roku Billing, is it possible?

Cant't this be accomplished with the existing billing options? E.g. let them have 1-mo free as trial and after the time passes, face them a subscription paywall.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"DeanLach" wrote:
In other words, I'd like subscribers to be able to use my Public channel for free for a trial period of say...30 days.
Then after 30 days, I'd like them to be have the option to continue being a subscriber for a price (monthly, yearly, or one-time, etc.)

This is possible using an in-channel subscription - you create the subscription product in your account and set the free trial period. Then you present the user, after the channel is installed and launched with the 30 day trial, which will automatically convert to a subscription when the trial period has ended. Unlike the up-front subscription model, this allows more flexibility and has a higher conversion rate.

- Joel
0 Kudos
DeanLach
Roku Guru

Thank you. I appreciate your time.
Cut that Cable!
0 Kudos
DeanLach
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
"DeanLach" wrote:

This is possible using an in-channel subscription - you create the subscription product in your account and set the free trial period. Then you present the user, after the channel is installed and launched with the 30 day trial, which will automatically convert to a subscription when the trial period has ended. Unlike the up-front subscription model, this allows more flexibility and has a higher conversion rate.

- Joel

Hi Joel, I just edited my channel and when I got to the PRICING page a new box popped up. I think I selected "in channel purchase." I hope this was correct, because when I went to add a product the Trial options populated just fine, I saved it, and submitted it -- It says approved.

I plan to update the package next (with screenshots, etc.)

I hope this is the correct step by step procedure. Please advise.
Cut that Cable!
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

You will need to implement some functions in your channel to actually get a list of products, display them and then allow the user to initiate the purchase transaction, the user will need to of course approve the purchase and you need to handle both success and failure conditions. Also note that roChannelStore must have a port assigned to it in order to function properly. If you are tieing the purchase to a product on your server, for example to allow someone to buy on Roku and watch on IOS, then you should also look at our Web API and also Push Notification service.

- Joel
0 Kudos
DeanLach
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
You will need to implement some functions in your channel to actually get a list of products, display them and then allow the user to initiate the purchase transaction, the user will need to of course approve the purchase and you need to handle both success and failure conditions. Also note that roChannelStore must have a port assigned to it in order to function properly. If you are tieing the purchase to a product on your server, for example to allow someone to buy on Roku and watch on IOS, then you should also look at our Web API and also Push Notification service.

- Joel

Oh, well this is much more complex than my standard use of Roku SDK's. I was hoping that the Roku billing options in cooperation with the (in-store purchase as a "30 day trial" as we discussed earlier in the post) was going to work.

So much developing, so little time...

-Dean
Cut that Cable!
0 Kudos