Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware version 7.1.0 build 4062-04 causing crash???

Original Title Before Edit: How to reproduce/debug/resolve irreproducible error
Since almost 10 days my app's users are reporting that the app is crashing to the Main Roku Menu. It started with one user then almost all users reported the issue. There have been no server side or application side change in the recent days. According to the reports issue is frequent and app crashes every hour or so.

I have been trying to reproduce the issue for 10 days. I have kept the app running for days and it didn't even crashed once. I have tested on and old Roku 2 and a Roku 3.

To get some insight in the issue on users' side, I released a version of my app with 'eval("MyMainExecutionMethod")', so that no matter there is a RuntimeError or a graceful exit, it will be logged to my server. But the app still crashes on users' side and there is no error or graceful exit status logged to server. AFAIK it is only possible if Roku somehow force closes the app and it does not get chance to complete its execution and report back to server.

Any clue how can I reproduce the issue? Why Roku force closes the app (if it does)? Or is there any other reason for app to exit midway in the code without completing the execution? The app has been running fine for quiet some time and suddenly this issue appeared. The incremental manner in which it struck the users, it seems to me that a firmware update might have caused this somehow.

The app is a 24x7 running app, it never (should not) close until the user manually closes it.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to reproduce/debug/resolve irreproducible error

Another finding:

Looks like some issue with firmware version 7.1.0 build 4062-04. Almost all of the affected users of my app have this version. Plus I found these 2 threads that suggest that other people are having same issue with different channels with same 7.1.0.4062-04 firmware.

Here are the links to the discussions by other users.
https://community.tablotv.com/t/roku-4- ... -grid/7318
https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?9 ... Dead/page2

Anyone from Roku Support??? Please verify that the findings about the firmware version are correct or not?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Might be a long shot, but you could try emailing developer[at]roku.com to see if they can provide some crash logs for you.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

"scorpiontahir02" wrote:
Looks like some issue with firmware version 7.1.0 build 4062-04. All of the users of my app have this version.

Are you testing with the same firmware and it's not crashing?
Is your app publicly available? Maybe post the access code and some of us can give it a test run.
aspiring
0 Kudos

"joetesta" wrote:

Are you testing with the same firmware and it's not crashing?
Is your app publicly available? Maybe post the access code and some of us can give it a test run.

I do not have a device with same firmware version, both of my devices have updated versions but my devices versions are different than 7.1.0.4062-04. I just came across these threads where people had exactly same issue and the devices with exactly same firmware version so I thought it must be firmware. And the app is not publicly available yet.

"TheEndless" wrote:
Might be a long shot, but you could try emailing developer[at]roku.com to see if they can provide some crash logs for you.

Ok I will try that.

On a side note, is there a way to force install some specific version of firmware on a device? If there is then I may be able to reproduce it on one of my devices.
0 Kudos