Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bfotk
Visitor

FLAC via Roku USB?

I'm not a "real" Roku developer, but I do have some coding skills (VBA, etc) and I've had a copy of the kit sitting around for a few years. I've never had a channel idea or a goal, but now that most of my music is ripped to FLAC files, I'd like to be able to use my USB-equipped Rokus to play it and I don't see anything out there to do the job. If there are no other choices, I may well see if it might be a possible DIY project.

So as a first step, I'd like to know if anyone has looked into this (maybe Nowhere Man?) and can offer some guidance.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: FLAC via Roku USB?

Where does it say that Roku will play FLAC files?
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

FLAC isn't a supported codec, sorry.
0 Kudos
bfotk
Visitor

"RokuPatrick" wrote:

At this moment, it's not. My interest is in creating a channel that will do so.

When I got my first Roku with USB support, the only way to play media through the USB port was to go to thenowhereman site and install the private USB channel he made (and still makes) available. Soon after, Roku included a USB channel in the channel store. Some sources have stated that Roku contracted with or hired thenowhereman to adapt his USB port channel for use as the official Roku one.

I note that in the case of video files, thenowhereman's USB channel supports only MK4 but the Roku channel also supports MOV and WMV. So clearly various codecs can be supported by Roku if a channel is set up to do so.

I've got the developer's kit. I figure that I should be able to produce a channel for playing FLAC files via the USB port.

The point of my original posting was to see if anyone else has successfully created such a channel. If so, I don't need to reinvent the wheel. If not, perhaps someone has done some preliminary analysis and investigation which might be useful to me in doing the job myself.

(I really thought that was fairly clear in the posting.)
0 Kudos
bfotk
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
Where does it say that Roku will play FLAC files?

There's currently no USB channel that supports FLAC. I'm interested in coding one.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Even if you could port a FLAC library over to Brightscript, you'd still run into issues with performance (see how slow the relatively simple PNG encoder is) and delivery issues. The audio and video player components don't provide a way to feed them an open stream aside from HTTP, and even that is limited to Range requests. So, you'll either need to fully transcode each file in advance to a Roku compatible audio format (e.g. MP3 or AAC) or you'll need to also implement an inline HTTP server to handle the delivery (remembering that you only have one thread to work with).

It'd be awesome if you could pull it off, but I think you're in for an uphill (darn near a cliff) battle...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

"bfotk" wrote:
"RokuPatrick" wrote:

At this moment, it's not. My interest is in creating a channel that will do so.

When I got my first Roku with USB support, the only way to play media through the USB port was to go to thenowhereman site and install the private USB channel he made (and still makes) available. Soon after, Roku included a USB channel in the channel store. Some sources have stated that Roku contracted with or hired thenowhereman to adapt his USB port channel for use as the official Roku one.

I note that in the case of video files, thenowhereman's USB channel supports only MK4 but the Roku channel also supports MOV and WMV. So clearly various codecs can be supported by Roku if a channel is set up to do so.

I've got the developer's kit. I figure that I should be able to produce a channel for playing FLAC files via the USB port.

The point of my original posting was to see if anyone else has successfully created such a channel. If so, I don't need to reinvent the wheel. If not, perhaps someone has done some preliminary analysis and investigation which might be useful to me in doing the job myself.

(I really thought that was fairly clear in the posting.)

Unfortunately, we need to provide support for the codec in the system software underlying the SDK. FLAC support doesn't exist and isn't planned. WMV was supported previously (it's not any more, though it may still work on some models) and MOV is just a different container for MP4) The SDK doesn't have any way to incorporate new codecs. As alluded to, the only way to play FLAC on Roku today is to have something transcode it before delivery to the Roku player.
0 Kudos
bfotk
Visitor

Unfortunately, we need to provide support for the codec in the system software underlying the SDK. FLAC support doesn't exist and isn't planned. WMV was supported previously (it's not any more, though it may still work on some models) and MOV is just a different container for MP4) The SDK doesn't have any way to incorporate new codecs. As alluded to, the only way to play FLAC on Roku today is to have something transcode it before delivery to the Roku player.

Thanks for the clarification. My goal was to improve what I get out of the Roku that serves as a CD player/tuner replacement in my music-only listening room system. Since that (currently and foreseeably) isn't going to work, I'll have to try something else.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

I realize this solution may be a bit more involved than you had hoped, but...

You might consider trying to use the Plex channel and a linux-based Plex server in concert with mp3fs ( http://khenriks.github.com/mp3fs/ ).
Caveat: I use plex+plex roku channel, but haven't yet tried using an mp3fs mount as a plex music directory.

cheers
0 Kudos
bfotk
Visitor

"malloys" wrote:
I realize this solution may be a bit more involved than you had hoped, but...

You might consider trying to use the Plex channel and a linux-based Plex server in concert with mp3fs ( http://khenriks.github.com/mp3fs/ ).
Caveat: I use plex+plex roku channel, but haven't yet tried using an mp3fs mount as a plex music directory.

cheers

Thanks! That looks interesting. The idea of ripping to FLAC and then transcoding to MP3 is a sad solution, but then at least I have the FLAC files in place on the network server. When I find the right hardware (which I would hope would be Roku with a firmware upgrade), I can dump the transcoding. MP3 is so unfortunate for a music lover.
0 Kudos