Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joeldavis84
Visitor

External Control

Sorry, if this is the wrong forum (pretty sure this is for channel dev's but maybe there's a skillset overlap) please move it if there's a better one to post this in. For reference this is what I'm looking at. 

I'm trying to create a simple wake-me-up script to launch loud music on my Roku. Doing this curl command works fine:

curl --data '' http://192.168.299.3:8060/launch/837?co ... GxcwpP8N98

However that creates an issue where subsequent attempts to do the above curl for other videos just results in the same video being played again. It's not creating a playlist or anything, it just sort of does the same video again and I have to reboot the roku to clear it out. If I manually exit the youtube app without rebooting then manually go into it again, it'll also play that same song again automatically without me selecting anything. I've searched a bit online and I guess the main problem is that I don't know what parameters the youtube app is going to be looking for. Is there a way to figure out what parameters are available for a given app? Is there a more preferred way of launching videos?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: External Control

"joeldavis84" wrote:
Sorry, if this is the wrong forum (pretty sure this is for channel dev's but maybe there's a skillset overlap) please move it if there's a better one to post this in. For reference this is what I'm looking at. 

I'm trying to create a simple wake-me-up script to launch loud music on my Roku. Doing this curl command works fine:

curl --data '' http://192.168.299.3:8060/launch/837?co ... GxcwpP8N98

However that creates an issue where subsequent attempts to do the above curl for other videos just results in the same video being played again. It's not creating a playlist or anything, it just sort of does the same video again and I have to reboot the roku to clear it out. If I manually exit the youtube app without rebooting then manually go into it again, it'll also play that same song again automatically without me selecting anything. I've searched a bit online and I guess the main problem is that I don't know what parameters the youtube app is going to be looking for. Is there a way to figure out what parameters are available for a given app? Is there a more preferred way of launching videos?

There is no way to figure out the parameters available to a given app other than by finding them posted elsewhere or experimental black box hacking. However it appears you already have the correct parameter with 'contentID'. My suggestion would be to build up a small list of 'contentID's and choose them at random when you launch.
aspiring
0 Kudos
joeldavis84
Visitor

Thank you for the response. Any idea how to stop the first video I queue up from playing upon subsequent launches? If I can figure out that I can probably just have it sleep between curl commands.
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

You could send a "Pause" or "FF" press via ECP, although I don't know if that will give you the intended outcome or not.
aspiring
0 Kudos
rovin
Visitor

Hi, Could you share the Wake me up script with me please? What I want to do is power up Roku automatically at 7 AM and play a particular song from youtube. Is that possible?
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

this wakes a roku up from its screen saver, as far as I know, there's no way to power on Roku TV with ECP
aspiring
0 Kudos