Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

External Control of Netflix channel?

Are there known parameters that can be passed to Netflix player when started with ECP /launch ?

In particular i have in mind being able to pass movie ID to be started. To illustrate the need, check the neat iPhone app DvpRemote (http://claytongrafix.com/pirey4/apps/DVPRemote.html ) - it's wifi remote for Roku and it uses Netflix SDK for access to user instant queue. Stariong a flic from there is really awkward though - it asks if you are positioned right in the movie selection screen and then sends keypresses trying to hunt positionally the movie in the list. It's clumsy and with risks being out of sync, bad UI etc.

So, any parameters that can be passed when ECP starting netflix or chance of adding that?
0 Kudos
62 REPLIES 62
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: External Control of Netflix channel?

The developer of DVPRemote is pretty well on top of things when it comes to controlling the Roku, so if his app doesn't do it, there's a good chance it can't be done, yet.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
The developer of DVPRemote is pretty well on top of things when it comes to controlling the Roku, so if his app doesn't do it, there's a good chance it can't be done, yet.

I am hoping for a first-hand answer (from s/o whose name begins with "Roku"). If i understand correctly, Netflix channel is a closed-source app developed by Roku in cooperation with Netflix - and the developer of said iPhone app is a private citizen.

There might be unpublished API or Roku may consider adding parameter handling to the Netflix app, seeing it useful.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

My point was that pirey is unlikely to have implemented it in his app the way he did if it were possible to do otherwise. By "pretty well on top of things" I meant he would have already inquired with Roku about this before going through the hassle he did to get it working the way he has.

EDIT: I should also add that I'm working on a project that would greatly benefit from some ECP control of the Netflix channel, so I too have a vested interest in this kind of functionality.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
Are there known parameters that can be passed to Netflix player when started with ECP /launch ?

In particular i have in mind being able to pass movie ID to be started. To illustrate the need, check the neat iPhone app DvpRemote (http://claytongrafix.com/pirey4/apps/DVPRemote.html ) - it's wifi remote for Roku and it uses Netflix SDK for access to user instant queue. Stariong a flic from there is really awkward though - it asks if you are positioned right in the movie selection screen and then sends keypresses trying to hunt positionally the movie in the list. It's clumsy and with risks being out of sync, bad UI etc.

So, any parameters that can be passed when ECP starting netflix or chance of adding that?

I've asked before as well, and there's currently no parameters implemented for ECP control for Netflix in the public version of the channel :(.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
whaleface
Visitor

it would be awesome to be able to do this. I want to write a chrome extension or greasemonkey script to tell the MOG app to play something based on a web click on mog.com, which would be a lot nicer than navigating with the remote and would mean you wouldn't have to switch your tv to the roku source if you're playing a game or something. I tried doing it in the same way the web-based roku remotes work but it's not workable for the reasons listed above. you have to assume you're in the MOG app at the first selection, arbitrarily pause for a long time between button presses so you know they have been fully processed, and since you're doing it blind if anything happens that you weren't expecting you're completely lost. if roku implemented a call to start an application (or ensure you're already in one), and allowed app developers to implement a single call like "play song/album/video with unique ID x" then this would be trivial. as it is, I don't think it's possible. 😐

does anyone have any more information I can look at to try and make it work?

edit: I see that some of this may be in the works, but I can't find the ECP docs everyone is talking about on the roku developer site. does anybody have a link?
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Maybe you could download the SDK file, since that's where the ECP documentation is?
0 Kudos
whaleface
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
Maybe you could download the SDK file, since that's where the ECP documentation is?

just found that, thanks. 🙂
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"whaleface" wrote:
if roku implemented a call to start an application (or ensure you're already in one), and allowed app developers to implement a single call like "play song/album/video with unique ID x" then this would be trivial. as it is, I don't think it's possible. 😐

there is already a easy REST API for staring a channel - and parameters can be passed too. now whether MOG channel supports any arguments (like song ID or album) is something to bark at MOG's tree, Roku had done their part
0 Kudos
whaleface
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
"whaleface" wrote:
if roku implemented a call to start an application (or ensure you're already in one), and allowed app developers to implement a single call like "play song/album/video with unique ID x" then this would be trivial. as it is, I don't think it's possible. 😐

there is already a easy REST API for staring a channel - and parameters can be passed too. now whether MOG channel supports any arguments (like song ID or album) is something to bark at MOG's tree, Roku had done their part

I see that now, thanks. sorry for not reading first but somehow I missed this document the last time I looked at the sdk. I'm going to ask mog to add some support for ecp now. 🙂
0 Kudos