Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevxcs
Visitor

Extending a scene graph poster node

Hi all,

I have a slightly bizarre problem, can I get a little help?

I'm using a RowList to display video thumbnails of varying sizes, some rows have titles and counts, some don't. That's all working great and I'm happy with it. It's based on the advanced rowlist example from the sdk. I wanted titles beneath each of the poster nodes so I added a label into the poster definition and it displays fine, couldn't be happier.

But .... when it draws the row counts the titles disappear from all of the posters in the row! What's going on there then? So as I move the focused row up and down the titles are there (and the row counts are not) until the row has focus, then the count is drawn in and the titles disappear. If I draw the titles as an overlay on top of the image they stay but if I draw them outside of the image they disappear, of course I really want them outside the image. Any ideas what I should do to resolve it?

Thanks 🙂
Kev
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Extending a scene graph poster node

Hi, Here's what Engineering has to say:

"Anon Scenegraph Engineer" wrote:

My guess is that the height of the RowList rows is not correct. The height of the rows is used to set a clipping rectangle for the items, so I think the problem is that the labels underneath the posters are being clipped.

If all the rows have the same size, the height is specified using the itemSize field. If the rows have different sizes, the height is specified on a per row basis using the rowHeights field.

Increasing the row heights should also allow for the correct amount of space to be left between the rows.

- Joel
0 Kudos
kevxcs
Visitor

Hi all,

Thanks for the response, I played around with the row heights as suggested and unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

What I did in the end was to use the loadHeight parameter to make the poster 40 pixels higher than the image and then render the label text in the blank space it provided.

Kev
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Hi, Here's what Engineering has to say:

"Anon Scenegraph Engineer" wrote:

My guess is that the height of the RowList rows is not correct. The height of the rows is used to set a clipping rectangle for the items, so I think the problem is that the labels underneath the posters are being clipped.

If all the rows have the same size, the height is specified using the itemSize field. If the rows have different sizes, the height is specified on a per row basis using the rowHeights field.

Increasing the row heights should also allow for the correct amount of space to be left between the rows.

- Joel

Hi Guys,
I had the exact same issue with a channel I'm developing and I found the cause, if the RowList has the following configuration:
      rowFocusAnimationStyle="fixedFocusWrap"

The label will disappear as described on the original post. I could reproduce it using the Video Player Example if you add this line above to the RowItem defined at the CategoryScreen.xml
I could only reproduce it on the Roku Stick (3600X) and Roku 2 (2720X) both with latest 7.5.0 firmware.
I could NOT reproduce on my Roku 3 (4200X) that has a beta firmware.
0 Kudos