Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joshhighley
Visitor

Emulator?

Are there any plans for a Roku Player emulator for development? It's a pain to have to develop and test with the actual Player, especially when it's hooked up to the family TV.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Emulator?

There are no plans for an emulator at this time. Maybe you need a second box for you office? 😉

We will continue to look for ways to simplify development, but one of the issues with an emulator is that a PC does not include the secure key storage hardware that the Roku box does. So many of the security features cannot be emulated.

We are looking at simplifying the experience of interfacing with the Roku DVP for development. Any opinions on an eclipse or visual studio plugin?
0 Kudos
joshhighley
Visitor

An eclipse plugin would be welcome. At least something to check syntax and other simple things. Having to upload scripts to the Player, only to be caught by a missing parenthesis or a misspelled variable name will get frustrating after a while. Maybe the eclipse plugin can do the upload as well.

As for the secure key storage -- maybe an emulator could communicate with the Player for that portion? I realize the SDK was just released, but with modern development environments, it's a bit archaic.
danstl
Visitor

I believe on Mac and Linux you can use the make files to automaticly send the project to your roku, and then it will tell the roku to package it, and so all you have to do is issue one command and then refresh your browser window to grab the new singed package.
Model: 2050X - wired
S/N: J0A07F000104
ISP: At&t 12Mb (primary) -- Charter 20Mb (secondary)
0 Kudos
Corgalore
Visitor

Re:

"RokuKevin" wrote:
There are no plans for an emulator at this time. Maybe you need a second box for you office? 😉

We will continue to look for ways to simplify development, but one of the issues with an emulator is that a PC does not include the secure key storage hardware that the Roku box does. So many of the security features cannot be emulated.

We are looking at simplifying the experience of interfacing with the Roku DVP for development. Any opinions on an eclipse or visual studio plugin?

I know this is a bit late, but I think a Visual Studio plugin would be great. Right now I'm using VS 2010, but as a text editor to write BrightScript.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

only three years too late, yeah - viewtopic.php?f=34&t=42578
0 Kudos
altair

Hello colleagues!

Any updates regarding this issue in 2020? We cannot wait to use the emulator for development.

Thanks,

Dzmitry.

Komag
Roku Guru

marcelo_cabral built one for games, maybe it's general purpose, I'm not sure

0 Kudos