Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scan
Visitor

Does Roku approve or disapprove channels?

i ask because the list of channels are so suckey compared to playon.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does Roku approve or disapprove channels?

Comparing Roku to PlayOn is like comparing prices on Amazon to uTorrent. PlayOn's legality is questionable at best.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
scan
Visitor

point taken, but i hear everyone talking about ditching cable etc, but roku seems like there going to eventually nickel and dime people with these "premium channels" think i might return mine.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Sounds like the box may not be all you expected, but you really can't blame Roku. The people that own the content are going to charge for it. There really is no such thing as a free lunch, legally that is.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Roku makes a box. Developers make channels and content providers provide content. Plenty of free content on the box & it isnt Roku charging for premium stuff, it costs thousands of dollars per month to stream HD video to more than a few people. Content has to be licensed so filmmakers, actors, the composer(s) and all the folks you see when the credits roll get payed. Content providers have to get paid somehow to pay for all that. Those of us who spend weeks or months writing roku channels like to get paid for our work if at all possible.

Hopefully this gives you a better idea of how things work!

-Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos

"scan" wrote:
point taken, but i hear everyone talking about ditching cable etc, but roku seems like there going to eventually nickel and dime people with these "premium channels" think i might return mine.

Let me provide my perspective here.

If I purchase cable I have to pay for all the channels in a tier. I don't really get a choice of which channels I pay for, the money gets passed out by the cable company.

On Roku, I have the option to pick the channels I'm interested in and only pay for those channels. That could be through subscription fees (like Netflix) or through premium channel costs. I feel satisfied with this because I'm getting exactly what I pay for and know I will make use of it. If I ever grow disinterested, I can cancel subscriptions a la carte and keep what I do use. Think about how much you pay for Tier 1 cable and how many channels you could purchase for the same cost.

Many of the premium channels are also likely to have free previews, allowing you to test out the content and the channel functionality before you decide to make that purchase. This, in my opinion, is a HUGE advantage over many other solutions.
0 Kudos
BoloMKXXVIII
Visitor

"RyanMarquiste" wrote:
"scan" wrote:

Let me provide my perspective here.

If I purchase cable I have to pay for all the channels in a tier. I don't really get a choice of which channels I pay for, the money gets passed out by the cable company.

On Roku, I have the option to pick the channels I'm interested in and only pay for those channels. That could be through subscription fees (like Netflix) or through premium channel costs. I feel satisfied with this because I'm getting exactly what I pay for and know I will make use of it. If I ever grow disinterested, I can cancel subscriptions a la carte and keep what I do use. Think about how much you pay for Tier 1 cable and how many channels you could purchase for the same cost.

Many of the premium channels are also likely to have free previews, allowing you to test out the content and the channel functionality before you decide to make that purchase. This, in my opinion, is a HUGE advantage over many other solutions.

Well said. Cable spreads out the most watched channels across several packages so you end up paying for a lot of content you do not want and will not watch in order to get the channels you want. Roku is exactly the opposite. YOU decide each and every channel to add. Many are truly free or ad supported. When over at my girlfriend's house it is frustrating to have to hunt through 2,000 channels to find something I want to watch. With my Roku, every channel installed has content I want to see.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

"scan" wrote:

Even if you love what Playon steals, you still need something connected to your TV to watch it..
0 Kudos