Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zilatica
Visitor

Documentation for DLNA?

The one feature I love about apple TV over Roku is the image screen saver. When I have family over and we watch something on appple TV, the show will end and my family pictures streaming from Itunes runs on the screensaver. There is a USB screensaver on my Roku, but I'd rather sync up with my NAS which has built in DLNA. Now, Roku has a DLNA channel and also an image screen saver channel. I started looking at developing my own channel (I'm primarily a Java developer) but can't seem to find any documentation on Brightscript's DLNA. Is the DLNA API for Roku private only, or is it available and I just can't find the right documentation?

My goal is to merge the DLNA channel functionality with the USB image screen saver functionality and get a DLNA screen saver on the Roku. Is this possible? ie I can push photos to my Network Attached Storage which has a built in DLNA server and I want to use Roku's DLNA support via a screen saver similar to the USB image screen saver.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
gonzotek
Visitor

Re: Documentation for DLNA?

"Zilatica" wrote:
The one feature I love about apple TV over Roku is the image screen saver. When I have family over and we watch something on appple TV, the show will end and my family pictures streaming from Itunes runs on the screensaver. There is a USB screensaver on my Roku, but I'd rather sync up with my NAS which has built in DLNA. Now, Roku has a DLNA channel and also an image screen saver channel. I started looking at developing my own channel (I'm primarily a Java developer) but can't seem to find any documentation on Brightscript's DLNA. Is the DLNA API for Roku private only, or is it available and I just can't find the right documentation?

My goal is to merge the DLNA channel functionality with the USB image screen saver functionality and get a DLNA screen saver on the Roku. Is this possible? ie I can push photos to my Network Attached Storage which has a built in DLNA server and I want to use Roku's DLNA support via a screen saver similar to the USB image screen saver.

DLNA is only implemented in the Roku Media Channel, and independently by one or two other third party channels. There's no API for it.

If you're only looking for something personal with what you're trying to accomplish here, it might be easier to ignore the dlna bits and just stick the photos on a plain http server (the NAS might already provide this, or have an add-on feature for it) along with an xml or json file describing the necessary attributes (at the least, the photo urls, maybe also dimensions and type and other similar metadata). If the server supports it, you can call a script (in e.g. php, python, java, etc.) to generate the file on-demand, and if not, you could run a something from a desktop to rebuild the data file on occasion.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
Zilatica
Visitor

Re: Documentation for DLNA?

That's too bad. Thank you for the fast reply.
0 Kudos