Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaxim
Visitor

Development Application Installer not working on company network

I followed set up guide to use the browser based Development Application Installer to develop and run apps. It works just fine on my home network but it does not work at our office network. What could be the reason why? Is there a possibly a workaround? Is there something I should tell our network administrator that he could change - most likely the admins probably will not be willing to make any changes, but I am curious what the issue may be.

https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Developer+Setup+Guide
7 REPLIES 7
enter0
Visitor

Re: Development Application Installer not working on company network

What part of it isn't working? Can you not connect to the Roku device at all, or is the problem related to the actual uploading or installation of the dev channel?

You're not assuming the device's IP address is the same on your home and work network, right?
0 Kudos
jaxim
Visitor

The roku can connect to the internet. The roku provides an IP address, but when I enter that IP address into my computer's browser, the normal development app installer does not load. Nothing loads. Since the app installer does not load, I cannot upload the app onto the device. Both computer and roku are on the same WIFI network.
0 Kudos
enter0
Visitor

Out of curiosity, what happens when you try to telnet into that ip address on port 8085?
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

Does your company network block local connections to port 80?  That's what it sounds like.
aspiring
0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

I just had a similar situation and what was happening is that the main router routes to other routers to widen the range of the wifi.

The fix was to select "I am at a hotel" or "I am at a dorm"

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

what device model# and firmware# do you have?

try troubleshooting step-by-step, in order:

1. can you ping the Roku IP address from your computer? (from CMD prompt in WIndows or Terminal on Mac)

2. can you control the device with https://devtools.web.roku.com/RokuRemote/ ?

3. can you telnet to port 8085 and 8080 of the Roku IP?

4. can you telnet to port 80 of Roku? (i.e. does it reject connection or silently connects)
0 Kudos
piscosour

Some things to check:

- Wifi network should be the same for Roku TV and your computer

- You should NOT have any VPNs on as this can block traffic (this is how I fixed the issue)

0 Kudos